Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SATA Diamondmax 160Gb - is it dead!

• Please log in to reply

ianjo

ianjo

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Brand new build & used these drives many times before - had windows loaded w/o any probs. My father (who I built it for) updated his antivirius & half way through it crashed. The PC now wont log in & after many attempts went for a re-install, but at the point of pressing L to delete the existing partition it does not recognise the hard drive. Going into recovery console the hard drive is showing as '?' and not 'c', 'd' or any other letter. Has it died???

Iam now in an area that I havent met & searching the web hasnt helped.

Any advice most welcome

Cheers

Edited by ianjo, 13 May 2005 - 01:30 AM.

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
did you load the SATA drivers during the windows install? windows consider SATA as a SCSI device, and you have to allow it to boot to that other device. you then have to give it the drivers for that other device during setup.
I havent tried deleting partitions on SATA drives (yet), so I dont have a definite answer for you, but would like to find out what is required. I bet we can figure this one out...

ianjo

ianjo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Audioboy

Yes I did - I've built 4PC's with this drive & never had an issue but now this has happened I am totally stumped. When I reboot from CDRom I then install SATA drivers from floppy to access the install/recovery console but from there on the hard drive does not exist!!!

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
hmmm...suppose a repair install runs into the same problem.
were you able to boot into safe mode?
do you have another PC handy you could plug this drive in and see if its recognized. Im gonna do some searching myself...

ianjo

ianjo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Repair does hit the same problem you are right.

No I cant boot into safe mode - all I get if I try booting from HD is a clicking noise & nothing else.

Yes Ive connected the SATA drive to my own set up & this hangs the system in the same way as mentioned above :tazz:

It sounds like its kaput me thinks!!!!

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
OK, you said its a diamondmax drive, this is maxtor correct?
assuming thats the case, if you have the maxblast CD that came with the drive, use that to format/partition the drive.
if you dont have it, go to maxtor.com, downloads. under the ATA section, the 2nd drop down menu bar has the maxblast software, including a bootable .iso file to create a bootable CD.
looks like you'll have to clean it up with that, then do a windows install like normal.

ianjo

ianjo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks Im downloading now & will have a go - I will keep you updated.

Many thanks for your help

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
no problem! I will have learned something too. this lead me to the white papers on SATA technology on the maxtor site, so now I am getting some serious geek knowledge on this :tazz:

ianjo

ianjo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Started to install but got a reply 'batch files installed too deeply'

Now I am stuck - i have the Dos screen with a c prompt

I have tried map/chkdsk commands etc but get reply command or file name not recognised

Any ideas please?

Edited by ianjo, 13 May 2005 - 04:17 AM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
can you do any fdisk commands at the C: prompt?
the maxblast utility should have wiped the drive when it formatted.
if you do directory, (dir) are there lots of files on the drive?

what Im thinking now is, perhaps you can use a win98 startup disk, which will get you into true DOS, and perhaps you could do a DOS format on the drive.

http://www.bootdisk.com/

would also be curious to know if you put this drive in another machine, is accesible now. if so, could try partitioning/formatting it as a second drive in that system, then hopefully have a happy clean drive to load windows onto.

ianjo

ianjo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No I cannot do anything - trying it another machine I still cannot access it. It appears that it wont acceot anything!

Thank you very much for all your suggestions but I think it will be going back for a new one!

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
bummer. sounds like it is a dead drive. good thing they are pretty cheap these days!

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
check your warrenty first tho- sometimes maxtor gives decent ones and could replace the old dead drive you have, how old is it?

ianjo

ianjo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Its about 1 week old!!!! Have sent it back to supplier & awaiting a replacement :tazz:

Thank you all for your help (esp. audioboy)

Edited by ianjo, 15 May 2005 - 01:32 AM.