Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer keeps freezing

• Please log in to reply

Trent M

Trent M

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hello,

I've used this forum in the past for problems, and was hoping you could help solve my issues with Internet Explorer 8. It will start up normally with a blank home page, but usually freezes upon attempting to load the first web page requested. Sometimes the web pages just never load and I have to close IE and start over, and sometimes if I wait 20-30 seconds they will eventually load. Once it successfully loads the first web page, it then works normally for all other web pages (including new tabs) until I close it and try to restart it again for a new session. It forced me to switch to Firefox, as some websites do not format well in Firefox and I find myself still requiring IE. I added the IE Tab add-on in Firefox that allows you to revert to IE within Firefox, but the same problems with freezing occur within that IE tab. It did not help to run IE without add-ons. I also tried resetting my IE settings from the Tools --> Internet Options --> Advanced tab. My anti-virus software does not detect any malware, and a Malwarebytes scan was clean.

I'm using a Dell laptop with Windows XP Professional SP3, connected wirelessly via a home router.

Thanks,
Trent

Edited by Trent M, 18 August 2009 - 01:28 AM.

Advertisements

feranm_ie8team

feranm_ie8team

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi my name’s Feran and I am working with the Internet Explorer Outreach Team to help provide assistance to folks about their Internet Explorer.

You should try to uninstall IE8 (this reverts you to IE7) - then you can try reinstalling IE8 again. Sometimes doing an uninstall/reinstall fixes any issues people were having in IE8. http://www.microsoft...upport/faq.aspx

Or you may want to try managing your add-ons (tools, manage add-ons, enable or disable). Disabling unnecessary add-ons may also help you resolve your issues.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

You should try to uninstall IE8 (this reverts you to IE7) - then you can try reinstalling IE8 again

I agree, except for the part about reinstalling IE8. Just stay with IE7.

Trent M

Trent M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thanks folks for your replies.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling IE8, and I tried uninstalling IE8 and sticking with IE7, and I also tried running IE without any add-ons, but I still get the same hang time. IE itself loads normally, but it then often hangs on loading the first web page, like it has to think about it for a while, but once that page finally loads, then all subsequent pages seem to load quickly and normally..... until I close IE and restart it later. I don't have this issue with Firefox, but I did install the "IE Tab" add-on for Firefox that enables you to use the embedded IE engine within Firefox, and this too experiences the same hanging. I have found that certain web sites are more prone to the hanging than others for some reason. Could it be my anti-virus software? I'm using AVG free.

Thanks,
Trent

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Possible.
See, if you have issue in Safe Mode with Networking.

Trent M

Trent M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
IE worked well in Safe Mode with Networking. No issues.

Trent

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
It must be some non-Microsoft startup doing this.
Start with uninstalling AVG temporarily.
Make sure to use AVG Remover: http://www.avg.com/download-tools

Trent M

Trent M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hello again,

Unfortunately, removing AVG didn't help.
Shall I reinstall AVG?

Regards,
Trent

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
In a moment, so we don't have another variable in the picture.
Just make sure, your firewall is up, and you don't open any unknown files until you got AVG back.

Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

Same problem with IE?

Trent M

Trent M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Well, that seemed to fix the problem..... of course I disabled dozens of start-up items and services. I'm guessing I probably need some of them.

Regards,
Trent

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Now, you need a lot of patience....
Start enabling services one-by-one, restarting computer every time.
If after enabling all services, IE still behaves, begin enabling startups, one-by-one, until you'll find the culprit.

Trent M

Trent M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I was afraid you were going to say that......

I'm going away for the next week, and then I will begin the task. I will update you at some point if you can leave the thread open. In the meantime, I will re-install AVG. Do you recommend that I stick with IE7, or can I go back to IE8?

Thanks kindly for your help.

Trent

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
We don't close threads here, so you can come back any time.
I'd say, stay with IE7.

Trent M

Trent M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
By process of elimination, the culprit turns out to be my wireless network. Everything works when I disabled the following services:

Intel® PROSet/Wireless SSO Service
Intel® PROSet/Wireless Event Log
Intel® PROSet/Wireless Registry Service
Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Service

In order to connect to the internet with these services disabled, I had to disconnect the Ethernet cable from the wireless router and connect it directly to the DSL modem. However, I found that if enabled the above services to run at startup and stayed connected via the Ethernet cable directly into the modem, then everything was still okay, as long as the router was turned off/unplugged. It didn't matter if my Radio was On or Off, but if I reconnect the power to the router and my laptop connects to it wirelessly, then the IE problem returns, even if I'm still connected to the internet via the Ethernet connection. In other words, everything is good as long as the router is unplugged and my laptop cannot connect to it, regardless of the startup services and the radio status.

I believe I have the latest drivers installed for the router (D-Link DIR-655 N router), but I'll look again. Other than just not using the router anymore, do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks again for your help in getting me this far.

Trent

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Well, the good news is, we're getting somewhere :)
I assume, we're dealing with laptop here?
Is it built-in wireless, or wireless card.
Check on those router drivers (reinstall, even, if they look OK).
Reinstall wireless adapter driver.
The router itself may be going bad as well.