Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows shuts down in the middle of setup... help pls

• Please log in to reply

Mel26

Mel26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hey makai!

Im back, got the pc cleaned up and here's a new pic.

Attached Thumbnails

• Comp.jpg

Edited by Mel26, 20 August 2009 - 11:42 AM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Wow! Excellent! Looks so new! Ok, I'm done now... everything should work since it's so clean! Bye! :)

Actually, I'm going to wite a document for you to follow. It'll take me a while to do, so I'll do that tonight and post it tomorrow... probably late afternoon. In the meantime, download THIS file and save it to your desktop... we're going to use it to format your hard drive. Just use the Free account to download. The program is clean, but scan it anyways before using it. Also, this program will create two floppies, so you'll need to run it on a computer that has a flopply drive. You'll also need 2 blank floppies... preferably new. The program will prompt you and tell you what to do so just follow along.

See you tomorrow!

EDITED
Just thought of something I wanted to check. Can you please post a photo of the back of the computer. Thanks!

Edited by makai, 21 August 2009 - 05:23 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, I finished what I needed to write. The only problem is that it's too big to upload on GTG. I've uploaded HERE instead. Just use the Free account again to download. Again, the file is clean, but scan it anyways before opening. Please read the entire document before you start working on your computer. If something isn't clear, or you have any specific questions, post back here.

By the way, you might have missed my "edit" in my prior post. Please read it. Thanks!

Mel26

Mel26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello again MAkai!

Im working on it right now.. but here's the pic of the back of the PC as you requested.

Attached Thumbnails

• Compn.jpg

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, I hope all goes well. I'll certainly hate it if you end up still stuck at "34 minutes remaining"!

Mel26

Mel26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
For some reason the pc isn't "reading" the floppy disks.. does it have anything to do with windows not being installed? Because it goes directly to windows setup.

Then I let it try to finish the setup to see what would happen, it finished it, didn't get stuck this time, but there were no icons on the desktop, no sound, no internet connection and the resolution was too low.

Do you think we can try to format the hard drive using cd instead of floopy disk?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, hold on. Before I answer all your questions... you're saying that Windows installed fine this time? If so that's actually good news!

EDIT...

Whoops... I read your post, but got so excited when you said it went through, that I missed the "no icons part". Actually I didn't miss it, I just got too excited and threw that part away!

Edited by makai, 23 August 2009 - 02:01 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, lets start all over... this time I'll answer your questions!

Reading from the floppy has nothing to do with windows. The computer should boot from the floppy providing the floppy was correctly made. But, lets forget about this for now and go on.

Yes, we can format from the CD. (EDITED OUT... due to confusion!) Do you remember a screen during the install where you were asked if you want to format the drive? I think I remember that there should be one. If so, restart the installation again, and format the drive. Windows may throw up a warning that an OS is already installed and ask if you want to install in a different location. Whatever it asks, make sure you don't install in a different location and instruct Windows to install on C:

The no icons issue...
Not sure what to say about this. There should be quite a few icons on the desktop. No icons point to a bad install.

No sound, no internet, screen resolution too low...
This is all due to drivers not installed. Windows is only an OS. After we successfully install Windows, we need to install drivers for sound, internet and your video card. This can all be fixed, but we need to install Windows first.

Edited by makai, 23 August 2009 - 05:53 PM.

Mel26

Mel26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ok, sorry about the floppy disks, I had some at home, but they were old, so I went and got new ones, anyway, the pc read the disks this time, I followed the instructions, then when it got to the setup hard drive part, it said, this software is only licensed to be used with Seagate hard drives only. Or I can purchase a version of Disk Manager online to use with other hard drives.

About installing Win98, as you mentioned above, my version of windows is XP.

Edited by Mel26, 23 August 2009 - 05:18 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

About installing Win98, as you mentioned above, my version of windows is XP.

:) You see what happens when you help too many people at once!??? Sorry about that! Gee, that's all you need... someone guiding you right into another OS!

Ok, never mind about Seagate. What you can do is just let XP format for you. Have you tried that yet? Remember to format C: drive and not let XP create another installation location.

Advertisements

XxDarkSatoshixX

XxDarkSatoshixX

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
hey makai can u help me with my problem... srry bout interupting

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

hey makai can u help me with my problem... srry bout interupting

You already have someone very capable helping you now. Please don't hijack other peoples threads and just follow along with what Broni recommends you to do.

Mel26

Mel26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ok, LOL!!! No prbl

Alright, working on that right now... it says formatting partition
C: Partition1 (NEW <RAW>) 305235 MB (305235 Free)

Is that correct?

Mel26

Mel26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
.. guess what... blue screen of death again... tried twice already, im just so frustrated with this pc!! lol

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Things aren't looking up here, but you posted a "LOL" which means either you've gone crazy, or you just don't know what to think anymore! :) Trust me, I know how you feel! Good to keep the spirits up though with a "LOL"!!!

Sorry we haven't been successful yet, but I'll continue as long as you want.

You basically have only one choice left (well, more than one, if you have extra components laying around), and thats to swap out that one ram module you left in for the one you took out. Your computer, with everything removed, should be in the "minimum" configuration since you pulled everything else out. The only other thing I can think of is to pull the IDE cables off the floppy drive and try installing again.

So many things can go wrong with an old computer... Power supply, motherboard, CPU, Hard drive. Major components like these are hard to isolate unless you can swap something it as a replacement. Like I tell so many other people on this forum... if you were in So Cal, I would drop by to help you!

At what point did you get the blue screen? Did the computer at least complete formatting the drive? If so, how far into the installation did it go before it crashed. If not, it could be the drive just has too many bad sectors so windows is just crashing... just guessing here.