Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

reset router, now can't connect to Internet

• Please log in to reply

georgiagal

georgiagal

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi -

Hope someone can help in layman's terms!! My son talked me into attempting to change our security setting from WPA to WEP yesterday so he could try connecting his DSi to wifi for Mario Kart game.

I logged onto my router and changed from WPA to WEP configuration and then realized I didn't know my WEP key. Which meant we could no longer get on the internet. I reset my router and was able to change the configuration back to WPA and entered my old security code.

I was getting an invalid IP address for a little while, but after rebooting my computer was able to get the IP address renewed/repaired. Everything shows connected now - but I still can't get onto the internet. I can see my network and see the SSID and even see my neighbor's info.

What should I do??? Help. I called D-Link but they are not any help at all. (router is a D something 615)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what does the router connect to as far as getting on the internet? a cable modem or DSL?

georgiagal

georgiagal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
cable modem -- and it has been working perfectly until I changed the security setting.

Edited by georgiagal, 17 August 2009 - 02:06 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok let's try a power cycle..

first unplug the power from the modem and router, and shut down your computer

then plug the power back in to the modem...wait for the lights to stabilize (they'll go all flashy for a while...wait till they seem to be back to normal usually anywhere between a minute and 5 minutes)...once that's done.... do the same with the router....once the router is back to normal start your computer back up and see if you can get to the internet

georgiagal

georgiagal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks, I will try that. At work now, will try when I get home. Will you let me know how it goes.

georgiagal

georgiagal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Dsennette -

This worked!!! Thank you oh so much!!! First try scared me - computer wouldn't bring up the web page. Second try, got it!

:)

georgiagal

georgiagal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Please see me other post for history, basically I couldn't get on line after resetting my router. Dnsette helped me with that. Now I am back on BUT I am getting network time out messages. And the internet navigates very slowly sometimes.

Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks!!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i merged your two topics so that we can keep all of this stuff straight

how frequent are the slow downs and time outs?