Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalled Windows, still problems

• Please log in to reply

phatjo911

phatjo911

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
O.k. I re-installed windows because of a problem, now I have other problems.

1) My monitor goes up to 1680 x 1050, but it won't let me go up that far. Does not have an option for that.

2) My hard drive is 500GB but it says it is 127GB???? What?

3) PCI internet card does not work. Says driver is not loaded.

Thanks

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Since you did not include any information on what kind of computer you have , this is just a guess.

Have you checked on the computer makers website for Video drivers( if it is on-board video, or if you have a video card you should have a CD with video drivers.

Same thing for the PCI internet card. Ethernet? Telephone? The card should have come with a drivers CD. You may be able to download drivers if you know what kind and make&model it is. Look on the card for any information.

If you used the first version of the Microsoft XP CD, it may not have the drivers to see past 127 gigs. XP needs the SP1 version to see more than 127 Gigs. Perhaps you could download SP2 and then go into your computer management and combine the 2 partition's into one large partition. You will have to format the unformatted space that SP2 finds on the drive before combining. If the computer still does not see all the drive it is because the Motherboard BIOS is old enough to not see beyond 127 Gigs. It usually takes a PCI drive card installed in the computer to connect to to be able to use a drive larger than 127 gigs for that problem.

Personally i divide all my large drives into multiple drives so i can put the OS and programs all on 1 partition and all data files on the second partition. That way i can reinstall the OS without disturbing any of the data files and never lose any data.

SRX660

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
The computer was built by me 2 years ago using

Core 2 Duo E6750
EVGA 8800GTS
Gigabyte 965P-DS3 Motherboard
2 Gigs RAM

#1 is now fixed, I uninstalled the video driver, restarted and installed again

The hard drive problem is also solved, I just made a second partition.

Only problem right now is the internet card. PCI Wireless, I am trying to install some new drivers, let's see how that goes.

Thanks for the tip on the partitions.

Also, sometimes ( recently ) the computer will freeze, and will only restart if I unplug the PSU for a while...
Why:?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I would suspect a poor quality power supply is the cause of the computer freezing.It may be something else but because you need to unplug says it is probably the PS. Now i would run the computer for a while , then restart into the BIOS and check to see temps and any other information you can find going thru the bios settings.

While you are in the bios i would also change the power setting to "OFF" and let windows handle the settings. You may have a conflict between the bios power settings and windows power settings causing the problem. Unplugging the computer from the wall just resets everything.

If that does not fix the problem i would replace the PS with a good quality one. I prefer the PC power and cooling PS's but they are expensive. Antec makes a good quality PS that are usually quieter than most of the others. I have had good luck with thermotake PS's but they are a bit noisier than other quality units. Seasonic also makes a good PS but a bit noisier than antec or PC power& cooling. Look for quiet versions of PS's.

PC power & cooling
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817703016

Seasonic
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817151079

Antec
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817371016

SRX660

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Alright, thanks for the recommendations.

I have pretty much taken care of all the other problems, but I still CANNOT connect to the internet.
I installed the driver for my Hawking HWP54G wireless PCI card, and although windows recognizes the device, it cannot connect to internet..
30 minutes talking to hawking tech support didn't help much either...

Any thoughts?

phatjo911

phatjo911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Yay! I was able to connect to the internet.

To everyone else who cannot connect to internet after installing their PCI wireless card.

Try this: Install the driver/program first, THEN connect the hardware. Worked for me.

As for the power supply: It's wierd, since I have been fine for 2 years. I'm pretty sure it's an OCZ power supply. Is it a good brand?