Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linksys wireless router wrt54g stopped connecting

• Please log in to reply

trash2trsr

trash2trsr

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi. I am pretty computer illiterate but will give any info necessary to fix this problem!!
I have a Linksys Wireless Router WRT54G V2 that I've had for about a year. My high speed internet is through our local cable company and I have a modem from them. I've never had a problem. I have my computer in my living room right next to the router and modem. My son's computer in his room down the hall works off of my wireless router. My other son runs his Xbox live off it as well. In the meantime I got a laptop which was connecting to the internet (not even sure how). All of sudden we have no internet connection.
The wireless router still has a light on it saying we're connected to the internet. Xbox live no longer connects. Other son's computer says local access only as well as my laptop. I can connect my desktop if I bypass the wireless router which is what I'm doing now.
My son's and my laptop both run Windows Vista and the desktop runs Windows XP Professional edition. My internet provider checked and said their connection is fine, it must be my router. I've called Linksys and after speaking to India am told I need to pay to get answers to my questions. I have shut everything down, turned on the modem, the computer and then the router. Same situation.
I also (from my laptop which I'm not sure I should have done) changed my SSID to "a unique SSID" and made sure the SSID Broadcast was set to "enabled" ??Channel is 6. Not sure what any of this means, just doing what I've found on the net.
This problem has gone on for over a week and I just can't fix it myself. I need help. My kids are both about to have breakdowns and I'll be right beside them!!
PLEASE HELP ME!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I have shut everything down, turned on the modem, the computer and then the router. Same situation.

wrong order... you want to unplug/turn off all the equipment...then power on the modem...once it's all the way on (once the lights stabilize on it) turn the router on...again when the lights stabilize turn on the computers and try to connect..

if that does nothing you may need to reset the router back to factory defaults... and reconfigure the wirless portion on the router...the steps to do the reset should be in the manual...but USUALLY you unplug the router and while holding in the reset button (usually on the back) you plug the router back in and continue to hold the reset button for 5 to 10 seconds after..

trash2trsr

trash2trsr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks so much. i'm going to try it right now!