Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Wireless Networks Detected after Reformat

• Please log in to reply

AndySE

AndySE

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
So I reformatted my computer this week and I tried to go on the internet but no wireless networks were found. My internet router setup is the same and the wireless on other computers still work.( My laptop comes with a built-in wireless adapter. )

Also, there's a secondary key on my keyboard that turns on the wireless mechanism but it's not reacting. It used to have a reaction every time it was used (fn + f2).

Any help would be appreciated.

[Dell Inspiron E1705 - Vista]

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to Geeks To Go :)

First lets check to see if your network connection has a problem

Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button then, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager.‌ Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Now scroll down to the network connections do you see any yellow or red question or exclamation marks? if you do right click on the item with the mark... scroll down and click properties, if it says the device driver is not installed. you will need to install it.

Sometimes when you format a machine you need to install drivers for the hardware to work properly...

if you have the disk from dell with the drivers then just explore this disk and install the wireless drivers if not...

Here is a link to the drivers for your laptop... look in the network tab, scroll all the way down, that should be the driver you are looking for...

Give that a try, of course you will need to connect your computer using a ethernet connection...

I just formatted a HP laptop last week, and the wireless worked without any installing. I just needed to turn on the switch... But you already checked that... :)

Good luck

keep me posted

AndySE

AndySE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Nope, only one item under network adapters and it looks fine.

But on the "Other Devices," there are 4 yellow signs, 3 "Base System Device" and 1 "Network Controller." Windows couldn't find any driver software for any of these.

By the way, is it possible that some secondary keys don't work? For example, my eject cd tray also doesn't work, but my volume/stand by/etc do.

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Nope, only one item under network adapters and it looks fine.

But on the "Other Devices," there are 4 yellow signs, 3 "Base System Device" and 1 "Network Controller." Windows couldn't find any driver software for any of these.

By the way, is it possible that some secondary keys don't work? For example, my eject cd tray also doesn't work, but my volume/stand by/etc do.

Hi There

You should have two network adaptors listed OK under Network Adaptors - One wired one wireless.

Which one is list there just now? I'm betting it's the wired and you need to get drivers for your wireless one.

Regards

AndySE

AndySE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
It's "Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller"

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

It's "Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller"

Hi There

That's a wired NIC. Is that the one thats enabled? If so you will need to find drivers for the wireless NIC.

I can't see an Inspiron 1705 but here is a 1750 drivers page:

http://support.dell..../...n&TabIndex=

Use PCWIZARD to identify your wifi card exactly

Regards

Edited by datarunner, 18 August 2009 - 10:40 AM.

AndySE

AndySE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thank you, I just had to get the right drivers from the site =]