Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Background/Display

• Please log in to reply

flip

flip

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
The majority of the background display options no longer work. The icon has changed from a 'paintbrush' type looking icon to something that looks like a small yellow box (poor description.. but they are not the same as they have been). Only four or five still work. If I import a jpeg to use it also turns it into the icon that doesn't work. The majority of what had beent there has been replaced with a number description instead of the cool names they had. Can I fix this? What happened?? Thanks.

Advertisements

flip

flip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
...to clarify the above post:

It appears that only .gif files are working/available to use as background. All the .jpg files no longer work. Many of the files that worked 2 months ago no longer work now.

Was there a service pack to xp that disabled some of these? In order to make things work do I have to convert everything to .gif files???

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're probably on the right track about SP2. JPEG files are known to have virus programs embedded in them and M$ has set permissions levels for viewing certain images. SP2 probably turned off viewing of this type of file by default.

How you can check is up to you as I don't use Win XP and I can not give you step-bystep instructions on what to do. Sorry. Maybe someone more familiar with this will give better help.

Ron