Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player

• Please log in to reply

flip

flip

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I had WMP 9.0 - it was freezing and running very slowly. I downloaded WMP 10. Now it freezes up all the time. I've started using Musicmatch and want to pull all files out of the wmp. I realize I cannot delete it - am I going to be forced to restore my whole system? When I start WMP 10 it boots fine but as soon as I ask it to do anything the tool bar disappears and it 'does not respond'. To keep my system 'clean' I want none of the audio files attached to WMP if that is possible.Any advice?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Exactly what do you want to do?

1) Set your WMP audio files to use with a new player?
2) Remove WMP 10 after doing #1?
3) Just keep, but not use WMP 10, and disassociate the extensions that WMP 10 has set to open?

Probably missed a question or two there! :tazz:

Ron

flip

flip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Could you tell my query was clouded by frustration???? Thanks for the questions to help me clear my head.

I've switched to MusicMatch and have imported files to it. I would like to be rid of WMP 10. WMP 9.0 was freezing up previously, also. By leaving it alone and not using it - since it is tied into everything windows - will it cause me problems down the road if the freezing problem is not corrected?

Thanks for any insights.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Have you checked the Add/Remove Utility in Control Panel to see if WMP is listed? If so, use it to uninstall program. If not listed, you will have to remove it the crude way which will probably leave a few files. If you have a good registry cleaner after you ininstall WMP, use it too. Be sure it backs up registry before removing anything.

I take it that Musicmatch opens ok now whenever you click on one of your audio files? I''m sure it switched the extensions of your audio files away from WMP.

I hate WMP a lot less than I do RealPlayer. But not by much. :tazz:

Ron