Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen & Beeping on Notebook

• Please log in to reply

RageRich

RageRich

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Guys I'm New.

I'll just get straight into it.

I have a Dell Studio 1535 (I think). I recently fell asleep and left my laptop under an open window, and it happened to rain that night. I woke up to find my laptop covered in rainwater (No big whoop it's happened multiple times before).
It was still turned on and working and the screen was responding as normal and the mouse pad worked but most of the Keys on the keyboard were not responding (the laptop was opened & turned on and got soaked)

I knew this was a problem, so I followed a few guide on how to take off the Laptop's Keyboard. I turned it off, removed the Battery and Power Cord. Unscrewed the screws under the battery marked with 'K' for keyboard to remove the front cover, and finally got the screws of the keyboard out. I then held a Hairdryer on medium heat a good distance away to dry up any water that may still be trapped under the keyboard, and popped the entire thing back together.

Now when I turn on my Laptop I find that there is a completely black screen (with a cursor blinking in the top like, like in MS Word) and the Laptop emits a continuous and very fast beeping sound, almost like an alarm clock ringing.

I am aware that a beeping sound is usually a hardware related problem, does anyone know what I might have done wrong? And if you need any more information I will, to the best of my ability, try to answer.

Thanks

Rich

EDIT: Tried the same again. Now the screen flashes Red /Green / Black/ White before loading and staying Black. I've destroyed my laptop haven't I? :)

I should also mention that my Operating System in Windows Vista

EDIT - After removing the Keyboard and replacing it about 5 times the laptop is now Booting up as normal. The keyboard is however still broke (which means that all that keyboard removing was a total waste of time). Now when the log in screen appears the keyboard automatically spams the same letter over and over again, and most of the other keys don't work to remove it (I don't know what key it is because it's a password field) Anyway, Should I order a New Laptop Keyboard?

Edited by RageRich, 18 August 2009 - 04:41 AM.

Advertisements

RageRich

RageRich

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Standard Original IBM POST Error Codes

Continuous beep - Power supply, system board, or keyboard problem

Edited by RageRich, 18 August 2009 - 04:00 AM.