Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstall Windows XP (need quick/simple answer)

• Please log in to reply

dwarro

dwarro

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok so I know I'm going to get a lot of crap for this post but can anyone point me in the direction (or just post a link) to the best instructions as to how to go about it? I've searched a bunch but it seems like there are thousands of ways to do it online but I'm just looking for a simple and easy way to approach it. I just kind of want a sure fire way that works.

I don't know if this matter either but my computer was infected with a virus and a lot of the programs don't function effectively (Microsoft Office, Itunes, etc..) so this is why I want to go ahead and install it again. I just want to make sure that everything goes smooth (doesn't everyone?) when I go through the installation because I don't want to lose my mind.

So if anyone can just suggest a link or whatever I would appreciate it. Thank you

Dan

Advertisements

Ez2c

Ez2c

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello dwarro & welcome to GTG

Quote: so I know I'm going to get a lot of crap for this post

No question is considered stupid here , what so ever...

If it is a infection you are concerned about i suggest you start here: http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html

be sure to save all logs and then start a new topic here http://www.geekstogo...emoval-f37.html

If you just want to clear your hard drive or partion the drive or just a clean/fresh windows installation , anything along them lines , i suggest you take a lok at here : http://www.geekstogo...rmat hard drive

best of luck !

Ez2c

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE for step by step instructions on how to partition, format, and install XP fresh

dwarro

dwarro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks everyone I appreciate it! I will try the reinstallation about a week or two from now and let you know if I have any questions.
The reason Im going to reinstall is because my computer "had" a virus that infected the system and now some software and programs don't function correctly. I'm pretty positive the infection is cleaned and removed so I think it would be best to reinstall windows and then start over with a good virus security program.
Thanks again!

Dan

TimCHills

TimCHills

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
If your hard drive is more than 2 - 3 years old, its better (not mandatory) to use a new hard drive (if you can). There are two kinds of hard drives: dead ones and dying ones. Its a bummer to do a re-install and then have that drive die on you in the next few days, weeks or year.
TimC