Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot find CD/DVD drive on computer; please help; nothing is working&

• Please log in to reply

toastie624

toastie624

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi! I am having a big problem on my computer, and I'm really hoping someone can help me.
I am running Windows XP on my computer and recently when I tried to write files onto a blank CD, nothing happened and I realized that my computer was not even reading the CD/DVD drive! The thing is, I can put in a game CD/DVD or a regular CD and the computer will read it, but it will not read a CD that has had files written onto it. In fact, when I put any CD/DVD into the drive, the pop up doesn't even show up! But that is merely part of the problem.
The main problem is that I have tried EVERYTHING to fix this problem. I have Googled for hours, I have used the troubleshoot function that Microsoft has (which ends up in the "Microsoft cannot help you with your problem" message), and I have searched in alot of forums for an answer, but nothing helps. I'm getting so frustrated :)
Here's what I have done:
-I have uninstalled the CD/DVD drive in Device Manager, the tried to reinstall it again, but I get an error message saying the Install Wizard could not install the program due to one problem or another (it never specifies it).
-I have tried running the "Scan for new hardware" option after the failed re-install, and nothing happened.
-I have went into the "regedit" option, done all that jazz, and deleted the "lower registry filter" (the upper did not show up), and restarted the computer.
-I have gone to My Computer to try and find the CD/DVD drive, and there is nothing there

I have done all this, to no avail. Still the drive is not found, and does not work at all. When I go into Device Manager, the CD/DVD drive is there, but with the yellow exclamation mark, and I keep getting a Code 39 error.
Like I said, I have tried EVERYTHING several times and rebooted a billion times, and nothing works at all. I'm really hoping someone can help me. Please, I'm desperate! :) Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello toastie624.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get to quickly then.

Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export. Name this file "filters" and save it to your desktop. This file can be deleted when it is determined it is no longer needed.

In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete...accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

----------------------------

If after doing that your drive still doesn't show up, please download CDGone from HERE. Once it's downloaded, extract the files to your desktop and open the READ ME FIRST.TXT file and follow the instructions there.

Post back with how things are going after doing the above.

toastie624

toastie624

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, I appreciate all the help I can get.
Like I said, I tried the regedit thing about 10 times and it didn't work. I will try the CDGone when I get home tonight and let you know how it goes. In the meantime, does anyone have any other ideas that could work? Or have worked for them? Thanks!

toastie624

toastie624

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Tried the CDGone and that didn't work either. Please someone help :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds to me like the drive is dying a slow death.

toastie624

toastie624

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Is there anything I can do besides just wait for it to give out completely?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Replace it as they are not expensive anymore.

A new dvd\cdrw burner runs as little as 30.00 dollars USD