Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Providing Remote Support

• Please log in to reply

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
Hi All

Just thought I'd make a suggestion.

How about g2g staff or recoqnised members provide remote support to users.

Just a thought

Regards

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
not easy to do in a free setting....most easily accessible support portals as such aren't free....neither are the team of lawyers we'd have to employ to keep us from getting sued if something went wrong

datarunner

datarunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

not easy to do in a free setting....most easily accessible support portals as such aren't free....neither are the team of lawyers we'd have to employ to keep us from getting sued if something went wrong

Hi There

Good point but couldn't we set up some sort of disclaimer?

I see what you mean though.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Regards

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
disclaimers only work half the time...i can tell you that i'm not responsible...and you can agree that i'm not responsible...but if you've got a good enough lawyer (or at least a better one than i have)...well all of a sudden there's a chance that i'm responsible

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
And we all know that i did do it. no matter how many times DSenette told me not to!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
pffttt.... i can make anything look like you did it

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
We actually believe that now after you've been promoted to an admin :)

But yeah, remote support on G2G is probably not a good idea for reasons mentioned above.

datarunner

datarunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
Hi Guys

No probs. It was just a suggestion.

Thanks for the replies.

Regards

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
:)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
you're right...as always...i'm sorry...i bow to your superior intellect and rugged good looks... i cannot hold a candle to your awesomeness

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehe

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
oh...and DR....don't worry about where this topic has gone (and don't even try to predict where it's going)...you've got 3 of the best topic thieves on the internet in one thread...there's very little chance of it returning to the original purpose

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

you're right...as always...i'm sorry...i bow to your superior intellect and rugged good looks... i cannot hold a candle to your awesomeness

ROFL :) :)

That's not what my topic notification email said!

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Sorry to take this back on topic again. :)

While this subject has come up a number of times, both in public and private forums I don't think it has recently. I have no doubt that we could provide a better service, and at a better price than most anyone does today. Whether that was through remote assistance or some type of priority forum support. Maybe even phone. It would also be another way to reward those that have spent so much of their time learning, and helping others. Perhaps even allow them to make a career of it. There is a need for remote assistance, as some don't think they have the technical skills to follow directions offered here. Others have a need for faster assistance than they may receive in the forums. We've toyed with the idea.

However, there would be a number of obstacles to overcome. For us this is a hobby. The teachers of malware removal do it for free, the developers of our malware removal and other tools author them for free. Mods, admins, they work for free. If others were paid, shouldn't they be compensated? If people can be paid for the help they offer, how do we ensure there is still free help offered? How do you decide who's allowed to offer help, and who isn't? When money exchanges hands there are also legal and tax implications involved. It could even affect the Microsoft MVP status of many of our members. Not to mention the initial expense of any special software, and modifications needed to the site to make it feasible, and likely some marketing to make it known.

Not to say it could never happen, but I think most of us are very comfortable with the free help offered as it is today.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also...something that a lot of people don't think of when talking about remote support... USUALLY when you're connecting to a paid remote support type system...you've got to enter your credit card information first so that the helping party can be assured of payment once they're done (never fix something before getting the money)....if you're coming here for malware assistance...do you really want the first step of that assistance to be you entering your credit card info online?