Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows\System32\hal.dll help !

• Please log in to reply

bigboy.meat

bigboy.meat

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Toshiba Satelite A105 and it dosn't have a Floppy Drive... but I do have a USB floppy disc drive.I made a boot disk so I can repair my hal.dll. I inserted the boot disk in the USB FDD, then typed in copy A:\hal.dll C:\Windows\System32 it keeps saying " Invalid Driver Specifiaction" everytime I enter copy A:\hal.dll C:\Windows\System32.... What should I do next or can you help me pass this part?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi bigboy.meat...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)

we may be able to help BUT you need to explain in more detail exactly what is happening...

tell us everything you tried to fix the problem and what the results were...

did you add any new hardware or software recently...
get any updates for xp or any software just prior to the problem...
what is the make and model of your computer...
what are your system specs...

can you boot into safe mode...if you can... try system restore

go back at least a week before you started having problems...

bigboy.meat

bigboy.meat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi bigboy.meat...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)

we may be able to help BUT you need to explain in more detail exactly what is happening...

tell us everything you tried to fix the problem and what the results were...

did you add any new hardware or software recently...
get any updates for xp or any software just prior to the problem...
what is the make and model of your computer...
what are your system specs...

can you boot into safe mode...if you can... try system restore

go back at least a week before you started having problems...

This is what happened...I was working on bring my laptop to out-of-box format so i can sell it. In the process of restoring the computer to out-of-box, my computer screen went blank and this error message came up " please reinstall <windows root> \system32\hal.dll". Well I dont have the win xp cd, so I made a Floppy Boot Disc using the steps you gave to another person. But the only problem is I dont have a FDD (Floppy Disc Drive)on my laptop. But I do have a USB Floppy Disc Drive.

I have a Toshiba Satelite A105 and it dosn't have a Floppy Drive... but I do have a USB floppy disc drive.I made a boot disk so I can repair my hal.dll. I inserted the boot disk in the USB FDD, then typed in copy A:\hal.dll C:\Windows\System32 it keeps saying " Invalid Driver Specifiaction" everytime I enter copy A:\hal.dll C:\Windows\System32....

What should I do next or can you help me pass this part?.... My question was; will this still work or will i need to find a different way to fix my laptop? If it does work,how would i resolve this issue.....

thank you...

Edited by bigboy.meat, 19 August 2009 - 02:24 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
please don't quote me in your replies..it only slows us down

your reinstall cd's should only be 2 cd's ...one with the OS and one with the drivers and additional software

your getting that error message because you don't have a floppy drive... its looking for the hal.dll on your A drive (floppy) and you don't have a floppy drive to get the file to copy from...

leave the usb drive connected and boot into the bios and see what the drive letter is for the usb drive is...

I will check with someone to see if using a recovery console plus cd and putting the hal.dll on it will work this way or not...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sorry ...that's not going to work...

If you purchased your computer from systems vendor such as a Dell, HP Compaq or Gateway system, you most likely will have a set-up or a restore-and-recovery CD (also referred to as a master CD) that came with the system. If this is the type of system you use, then a format is an easy process as the master CD will format the hard drive, reinstall your Windows operating system, and install any software and programs that came with the system...

since this is not happening properly there may be a problem with the hard drive...so lets try to format it manually and then try reinstalling the basic OS

go here..download the following file: rc.iso...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start by clicking on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

when you boot from rc.iso you will get a blue screen and it will say setup is loading files...
then it will say its starting windows...
you will get to a screen that says ...do you want to install windows or 2nd choice it to repair windows..
press r to repair...you will get to a ...C:\>..this is where you type in FORMAT C: /FS:NTFS press enter
note the single space before the /
after its formatted the drive type in exit press enter and eject the rc.iso cd...put in your original xp disk and reboot...
hopefully it will complete the install process this time...

bigboy.meat

bigboy.meat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i dont have a dell,hp, compaq or gateway....will this still work for toshibas laptops too.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep... :)