Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Website Filtering

• Please log in to reply

joe_azer

joe_azer

• Pip
  • 9 posts
hi,
i was wondering if there's a reliable way to filter out certain websites from being accessed by users on my domain, is there a way to apply a group policy of some sort to block certain websites?

i know a firewall or a content filter is the proper way to do it, but is there a Domain controller way?

i also know about editing the host file trick on individual computers too, seems futile.

thanks in advance :)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
there's nothing built in to active directory that will allow for content filtering (i THINK you can turn on the content advisor settings in internet explorer...but to be honest....that does about the same thing when it's on as when it's off)

your best bet is to put in some form of content filtering product..

there are more than enough paid types like the Barracuda networks webfilter (i use this and it's great) and Websense...but neither is cheap (the Barracuda is somewhere around $3k to get started depending on the update subscriptions you buy and websense is MUCH more than that depending on how many users/computers you want to filter)

two FREE options are OpenDNS (which operates on the principle of doing a DNS redirect when someone attempts to go to a blocked page) which is reliable (i also use this as a second layer after my cuda) and easy to set up...it's not fool proof, and some things can get through...but you can explicitly block/allow websites as you like

another free option would be to run a virtual proxy server with content filtering...VMWare server is free and you can download a free virtual appliance that has a squid proxy server and a dansguardian web filter loaded up (i've also got one of these running as a backup....it's a wonder how anyone gets to the internet in my office)...also pretty easy to set up...then all you have to do is use group policy to direct all your internal clients to go through the proxy to get to the internet...and set your firewall to not allow anything but that proxy out (so that they can't get around the filtering)

joe_azer

joe_azer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
wow opendns is indeed impressive :)

and thanks for caring enough to type out all that :)

appreciated.. :)