Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Recover v Repair, Full CD v Recovery Disk, OEM and non-OEM

• Please log in to reply

ozegirl

ozegirl

• PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
I'd like clarification on a few points as I am trying to educate myself further on troubleshooting Windows XP problems, in particular boot problems.

Wondering if someone would care to comment on this and/or perhaps place a sticky, alongside the "how to repair windows" sticky at the top of this forum.

Often we see users with boot problems advised to use Recovery Console to attempt a Windows Recovery, and at other times to perform a Windows Repair.

Would a Windows Recovery always be the first option to try, followed by a Repair if that failed, and then the final resort format and reinstall? Or are there times when a Repair would be first option? Naturally the answer could depend upon the circumstances. Sometimes the problem could be software related, sometimes hardware related, and sometimes malware related. I understand there are times when, if malware is present, attempting a recovery/repair will not work and in fact could do more harm than good....but how can the malware be removed first if the system does not boot? ....here we get into some of the LiveCD and Linux boot options....

Then there is the issue of Full Windows Cd versus "recovery Disk". I understand that without the full Windows Cd some of the options will not work....some users complain that they cannot get a repair screen with an option to repair an installation...instead they can only create a new installation on an existing partition or delete a partition....and also with repair or sfc if users have updated to a service pack above their installation CD, they need to make a slipstream Cd first...

Then there is also the issue with the registry editing that is advised here that it cannot be attempted on a machine with OEM installed....

I'm sure to novice users all of this is very confusing. Is there a good site that lists the options in a troubleshooting sequence or flow-chart format...if this...then that, if not this....then that instead....

or is it possible to have such a step-by-step of what processes to perform in the event of a system that will not boot into windows either normal or safe, or one which continually restarts....

as with a lot of troubleshooting, it is important to start at the right place and proceed with different procedures in the right order....sometimes a system which could have been recoverable at one stage can be completely screwed by doing the wrong thing at the wrong time....

so...any takers on putting a simple-to-follow troubleshooting guide to boot problems? Again, I realise that there are too many variables to be comprehensive about this, but there ought to be a basic plan of attack that users could follow which takes into account at least if they have the Full CD or not, or OEM...and covers the points above.

would really be keen to see something like this as a reference tool, similar to the page on the malware site which takes users through a step-by-step of preliminary things to do to try and remove malware before posting to the help forum there...

Advertisements

Ez2c

Ez2c

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Good idea/suggestion ozegirl , i think your onto somthing here :)

I will put my 2 cents in where appropriate , as i see you may need a helping hand... ( a lot to be covered )

Best of luck !

Ez2c

Ez2c

Ez2c

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Good idea/suggestion ozegirl , i think your onto somthing here :)

I will put my 2 cents in where appropriate , as i see you may need a helping hand... ( a lot to be covered )

Best of luck !

Ez2c

PS: iam also aussie :) ( South Aust )

Edited by Ez2c, 19 August 2009 - 03:24 AM.