Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system restore fails

• Please log in to reply

telomere

telomere

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi,
I tried to restore the system, it says preparing to restore and restarts and says A restoration to "Software Distribution Service 3.0" restore point failed. No changes have been made to the system.When i check the _restore folder after each try a new restore pointwas created by the system. so the sameday system created 5 restore points as i tried to restore it 5 times.
my system is win xp sp3.
My system was infected heavily before and recently with trojan horse and trojan onlinegames etc..it was cleaned up.I ran antivirus scan and antispyware scan.no infections were found.I have the following antivirus programmes.

avg,spywareguard,superantispyware,spywareblaster,outpostfirewall,processguard,erunt,malwarebytesantimalware etc.. I tried uninstalling and disabling these and tried restoring.didnt work.I tried restoring in safemode.still the same.
can someone please help?

Advertisements

Ez2c

Ez2c

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello telomere & Welcome to GTG !

i cannot assist you in malware removal or give any advice as i'm not part of the malware team , so if you beleive you have an malware infection or suspect an infection of any kind i suggest you start here: http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html

Save all relevent logs and results

then.. proceed to: http://www.geekstogo...emoval-f37.html

Start a new topic and include all logs and results

Best of luck ! , You are in good hands and will be fixed up in no time... ( They are good at what they do )

Ez2c

Edited: Bad spelling ( Hopes Sari does not proof read this post )

Edited by Ez2c, 19 August 2009 - 03:34 AM.

telomere

telomere

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Now my system is clean. I have run the antivirus and anti-spyware scan 2-3 times. No infection was found. But I am unable to do system restore. If there is no malware or virus infections found, then do you still think I should post the topic in malware forum??

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
No, have a look here for fixing it

http://www.kellys-ko.../xp_restore.htm

Ez2c

Ez2c

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Edited: Sorry , bad approch...

Try Rorschach112's suggestion , he seems to have a fix there

Ez2c

PS: Just looked , Very nice guide , good suggestion Rorschach112

Edited by Ez2c, 19 August 2009 - 04:16 AM.

telomere

telomere

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi Rorschach112,
I have gone through the guide. I have already run srdiag.exe and have the log. If u want me to post it i will. Also i din't try enabling and disabling of SR as it would wipe out my old restore points. and i very badly want one of my old restore points as it contains one of my imp works. I also have the event log .
IF i download and run xp_sysrestorepoint.vbs , will it wipe out my old restore points?
here is the event log:
A restoration to "Installed Windows Media Player 11" restore point failed. No changes have been made to the system.
I also tried in safemode. still getting same error