Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

automation

• Please log in to reply

IshmaelVignsten

IshmaelVignsten

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi guys,

I have recently made a little program to help me wake up in the mornings. it's a simple alarm that plays an mp3 at 6:30 every morning. what i want it to be able to do is for it to automatically turn on my lights at 630 too

anyone done it before? any ideas?

Advertisements

Ez2c

Ez2c

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Possible , i suppose :)

Alot of electrical knowledge would have to be known... are you planning on installing this yourself ?

I would not know how you are going to send the signal from the computer to the switch/trigger...

software to send the signal off is another senario again :)

fair bit involved , and i have never heard of such a setup lol , tried google ?( i think google will be your friend in this situation :) )

Why not just settle with the lights coming on when you clap lol ???

Ez2c

PS: What lights are you referring to lol ( home light's ??? )

idont know weather the computer could switch it on , if it is possible , if you run through a relay'd circuit ( run the load of the current through the relay , and the computer just trigger and pull the contacts ??? ( only small curent needed to hold the relay active ( and the relay handles the high current ) , as you would not run that through a computer and dont think it is possible anyway... you'd fry it :)

i assume this would involve soldering wires to certain parts of the motherboard or other hardware... ( have to ask yourself , are you confident anough to preform these procedures ???)

PSS: Are these LED ( Light emitting diodes ) lights ??? , i think with some relays and other gadgets , it may very well be possible ( LED's require only a small current flow , compared to other " Standard lights "

Edited by Ez2c, 19 August 2009 - 04:43 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

Alot of electrical knowledge would have to be known...

No it doesn't. Home Automation is a mature industry, been around for years. It is basically plug in and go.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
indeed... x10 systems are the most purchased version of home automation...but they've got millions of other systems out there...heck you can go to lowes and get a whole system to do everything in your house from the computer (or a mobile phone)....even unlock your doors from the internet

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
My 2003 Avalon, for example, has 3 buttons built in to the sun visor that I can (easily) program. The typical use, of course, is the garage door opener. But the other buttons can be used to turn on lights, TV, or start the coffee pot.

IshmaelVignsten

IshmaelVignsten

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Thanks for the reply guys, I'm not experienced at this kind of stuff so I'm still reading up about it when i have some more specific questions I'll post em!