Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont start even in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

notsogood

notsogood

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi . . . sorry I know this is a question that has been asked before but I can't find a useable solution.

When I turn on my computer it says that Windows failed to launch properly and gives me the options of starting in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Newtworking, Safe Mode with Prompts, Last known good configuration and normal mode. Whatever I choose it goes to the Loading Windows XP page then goes black then back to the different start options in a neverending cycle.

All the solutions I can see involve putting in the original Windows CD, which I have lost (the computer is about 6 years old and I have moved several times) or downloading something from the internet which I can't do because my work computer (that I am on now) does not have a CD writer. If there was something that would fit on a floppy I could use that but nothing seems to fit on a floppy these days! Also, I do not know anyone whose computer I can use for trying to copy files or other suggestions I have seen involving using a friend's computer (not because I am a bad person but for some reason most of the people I know just don't have one).

Can anyone offer any help?! I would be ever so grateful!!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
when you can't even boot into safe mode...then a repair is in order...go here for the how to guide...

we can try this first..
do these steps one at a time and try to boot up in between...if it boots normally stop running the rest of the fixes they won't be necessary...

go here..download the following file: rc.iso....then run chkdsk /r from the rc.iso cd...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start by clicking on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

when you boot from rc.iso you will get a blue screen and it will say setup is loading files...
then it will say its starting windows...
you will get to a screen that says ...do you want to install windows or 2nd choice it to repair windows..
press r to repair...you will get to a ...C:\>.......this is where you type in chkdsk /r

type in chkdsk /r press enter
note the single space before the /

While chkdsk is running you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. or a black dos box depending on on which cd you use... Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.

NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete...it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...there are 5 stages
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING CHKDSK or you can have severe problems...
remove the rc.iso cd and reboot...if it does not boot into windows

boot from the cd again...
then type fixmbr press enter...reboot
no joy ....boot from the cd again...
type in fixboot press enter...reboot
nojoy...boot from the cd again...

Type in bootcfg /scan and press enter

if it says total identified window installs: 1

Type in bootcfg /rebuild and press Enter...

It will identify your XP installation...type Y once you see this prompt.

You will be prompted to enter the load identifier...type in Microsoft XP Home Edition or Microsoft XP Professional depending on whichever version you have...press enter

You will be prompted to enter the load options...type in /fastdetect and press Enter

Type in exit and press Enter

remove the cd and Reboot

if the above does not fix it...you will have to find someone with a retail xp cd of the same flavor you have installed...
IE: if you have XP PRO installed ...then the one you borrow has to be XP PRO

notsogood

notsogood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi happyrock, thanks for taking the time to answer.

Couple of problems . . . my work computer does not have a CD writer so I can't get the file that you said to download onto a disk to take to my home computer. I did download it but then it started saying it was installing something so I had to stop it - work gets upset if we install stuff onto our computers (and if we spend our work time searching on the internet for answers to issues with our home computers but that's another story :) ) and since the problem is with my home computer I thought there was probably no point in letting it install onto my work computer anyway.

So is it worth getting a USB stick or something, will I be able to take the file off work computer and onto home computer using that? Did I need to let it install then take the file to my home computer? Sorry I am apparently quite thick and don't really get it.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
have a friend download and burn the rc.iso cd for you...
no friends or family... get a local computer shop to do it for you...

notsogood

notsogood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have no friends nor family :)

Okay not quite true but sadly no one seems to have a CD writer or they have one but it is broken, what a bunch of technophobes!! I'll root around and try to find someone to get it for me and let you know how I get on.

Thanks a lot for your help, it is much appreciated.

notsogood

notsogood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
:)

Well, I managed to get a shot of my neighbour's computer and burned the rc.iso file . . . and it worked!! My computer is now happily loading up and all is good and right with the world again.

Thank you so much for the help happyrock, you really saved the day :)

stevenmc-ireland

stevenmc-ireland

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This is an extension of a previous thread.

After a virus scan Win XP would not allow me to sign in. I tried various user accounts in normal and safe mode. I would type in my username and password, it would start signing me in, then it would save my settings and sign out. All of this was done without ever seeing my desktop.

I fixed it by doing the following (assumes c is your hard drive and d is your cd drive, change as appropriate):

Used the WinXP CD to enter recovery mode.

cd c:\windows\system32
Dir userinit.exe

When I done this, it said "no files found". This file does what it says on the tin, it "initiates the user", and without it (or if it has got corrupted) then you need to restore it from your Win XP cd. So....

Navigate to:

cd d:\i386
CD I386
EXPAND USERINIT.EX_ C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32
exit

Now you should be able to log in to windows again. You have to ask, would it have killed microsoft to include a line of code saying "if !is_file(userinit.exe) echo "The userinit.exe file is missing, please restore it from the CD, or insert the CD now for auto-restore".

Problem solved.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
notsogood
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)
stevenmc-ireland
glad you got yours running too.. :)
but in the future please don't just post in any old topic ...start a new thread...