Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing Bios settings to Latency 4?

• Please log in to reply

stephenmv

stephenmv

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am trying to adjust my latency settings to 4 in Bios (default is 5, 5-5-5-18). Whenever I change it to 4-4-4-12 my computer won't boot up. Do I also need to adjust the Advanced Timing Control settings?

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L rev 2
Memory: Crucial Ballistix DDR2-6400 2.0V

Edited by stephenmv, 19 August 2009 - 11:59 AM.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
No, but you do need to change the voltage the RAM is getting to 2.0V.

stephenmv

stephenmv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I thought the default setting was 2.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The default JEDEC specification for DDR2 voltage is 1.8V. Most motherboards will default to that.

stephenmv

stephenmv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm not seeing where JEDEC is listed. Should I just change the one memory voltage setting to +.2, the Ram settings to 4-4-4-12 and leave everything else alone?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The JEDEC standard is a document viewable here. It won't say JEDEC in your BIOS. It should say what voltage your RAM is currently getting somewhere. For example, in my BIOS, it's under System Monitor. You should verify the amount of voltage your RAM is currently getting, because not all motherboards default to 1.8V.

stephenmv

stephenmv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
WOW, that document made this very easy to understand. :)

I am 99% positive that my boards default setting is 1.8. I didn't change the voltage settings when I changed my ram to their 4-4-4-12 setting and my computer wouldn't boot up. Would it be the voltage setting that would cause this or another timing setting?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
You almost certainly need to change the voltage in order to make your computer boot with the timings at 4-4-4-12. However, without knowing how much voltage your RAM is currently getting, setting the RAM voltage to +0.2V may give your RAM too much voltage. This is because many boards default to 1.85V, and +0.2V will give you 2.05V.

Again, it should be pretty simple to see what voltage your RAM is getting. In some BIOSes, it's listed under PC Health Status.

stephenmv

stephenmv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you, it is a good thing I checked. It is currently running at 1.88, so I take it I should just do +.1

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I've been doing some research on your board, and apparently, +0.1V doesn't mean +0.1V... It may only add ~0.05V...

So, what I'd do is add +0.1V, and then check again to see what voltage is being reported. If it's 1.98V, then you're probably fine and you should leave it. If it's below 1.95V, you may want to go to +0.2V.

After you have that squared away, try to boot up and let us know how it goes.

Advertisements

stephenmv

stephenmv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I tried it and changed my settings to 4-4-4-12 and my system wouldn't boot up.

Edited by stephenmv, 20 August 2009 - 02:34 PM.

stephenmv

stephenmv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Bump... Sorry, just wanted to make sure this isn't lost.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Can you provide a link to the Crucial website's page for your exact RAM?

Troy

stephenmv

stephenmv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Crucial Ballistix

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I have a very similar setup for my home system, I'll have a look at my settings when I get home and report them here if there's something else we need to adjust.