Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Time to reinstall XP w/repair?

• Please log in to reply

Mr.E

Mr.E

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

So I took the plunge, I did a destructive re-install. Problem now is that my computer doesn't recognize my sound card, video card & worst of all the wireless card in my computer. When I go to Network Connections in the control panel, there isn't even an icon for the wireless card. Does this mean I need the driver for it? Hopefully I can download it somewhere & then with access to the internet, the other 2 drivers will be out there somewhere for Windows to find for me. Any help is appreciated.

Yea you probably just need to reinstall the drivers. I don't suppose you have a driver cd that came with the computer when you bought it? or perhaps your computer has a recovery partition (that does seem to be the norm for companies like dell and hp nowdays)?

If nothing else i hope you at least know what type of devices you have in your computer. List the specs for them and I am sure someone can point you to drivers for them. At the least if you know who made the devices you should be able to find drivers for them on their manufacturers websites.

Advertisements

Bri K

Bri K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Awesome, I'll grab the driver for my wireless card to my flash drive & then install it. My next question is should the other 2 drivers (I know the audio one isn't working, but when I looked in my Hardware Configuration it also indicates a video driver is missing) be available to me by having internet access? I plan on first installing anti-virus & anti-malware/spyware then doing a Windows update before actually attempting to go online to find stuff.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
once you get internet access you should be able to go to the manufacturer's site and download the drivers

Bri K

Bri K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Yea you probably just need to reinstall the drivers. I don't suppose you have a driver cd that came with the computer when you bought it? or perhaps your computer has a recovery partition (that does seem to be the norm for companies like dell and hp nowdays)?

If nothing else i hope you at least know what type of devices you have in your computer. List the specs for them and I am sure someone can point you to drivers for them. At the least if you know who made the devices you should be able to find drivers for them on their manufacturers websites.

I have an IBM/Lenovo ThinkCentre. I'm not sure what all came with the computer since I don't have the CD for it (had to get an XP CD from my buddy at college). I think there's a manual around somewhere, I'll dig it up & figure out what kind of audio/video devices are in the computer. I got the specs for the wireless router from opening up the box & looking at the label, but I didn't try to do the same for the others. I figured that it would fall into place, but what do I know haha. I also assumed that the computer could tell me the type of hardware plugged in & I could go look for drivers online. Any way to have the desktop tell me what's in there?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if you go to the ibm website you can enter the model number of your laptop and it will list the drivers for the hardware that SHOULD be in the machine (i.e. assuming nothings changed since they made it)

Bri K

Bri K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

if you go to the ibm website you can enter the model number of your laptop and it will list the drivers for the hardware that SHOULD be in the machine (i.e. assuming nothings changed since they made it)

Yeah I was also going to do this, but since IBM changed to have Lenovo do all their PC stuff I wasn't sure if it would have gotten lost in the translation. My desktop is IBM but now all that stuff is being done by the other company. I'll look into it. These are all great ideas, thanks a bunch everyone. I'll bring my work laptop home with me after work when I try to do this in case I have any problems. It's hard to explain when it's not right in front of you.

Mr.E

Mr.E

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

I have an IBM/Lenovo ThinkCentre. I'm not sure what all came with the computer since I don't have the CD for it (had to get an XP CD from my buddy at college). I think there's a manual around somewhere, I'll dig it up & figure out what kind of audio/video devices are in the computer. I got the specs for the wireless router from opening up the box & looking at the label, but I didn't try to do the same for the others. I figured that it would fall into place, but what do I know haha. I also assumed that the computer could tell me the type of hardware plugged in & I could go look for drivers online. Any way to have the desktop tell me what's in there?

I know if you go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Information it will tell you in there what is in the computer. Look under the components section and each device should be listed. When you do go to get drivers be sure to go to IBM's website and find your computer model then install a Chipset driver FIRST. Otherwise you may start having trouble with different devices. I had a laptop that we installed things out of order and because of that there were devices that didn't showup at all. Once we reformatted and reinstalled drivers in the correct order everything worked perfectly.

Just a horror story for you...

Edit:

Yeah I was also going to do this, but since IBM changed to have Lenovo do all their PC stuff I wasn't sure if it would have gotten lost in the translation. My desktop is IBM but now all that stuff is being done by the other company. I'll look into it. These are all great ideas, thanks a bunch everyone. I'll bring my work laptop home with me after work when I try to do this in case I have any problems. It's hard to explain when it's not right in front of you.

if you have another computer then get use it to go to websites and get the drivers while you are waiting for updates and anti-malware programs to load. that way you will also have a cd of drivers for the next time something happens..

Edited by Death's Requiem Sonata, 25 August 2009 - 09:05 AM.

Bri K

Bri K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Well I installed the driver for my wireless card:
http://www.dynexprod...sktop-card.aspx
However, still no internet connection. This exe installs the Dynex Wireless Networking Utility which would replace the Windows utility for managing wireless connections. When I double-click on the utility icon on my desktop, the process starts, but the program doesn't come up. What have I done incorrectly here? There's still no icons when I do the 'Network Connections' in the Control Panel.

EDIT:
My System Information says I don't have 3 problem devices. An Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller & Video Controller (VGA Compatible). I'm guessing the ethernet controller is the one giving me trouble.

ANOTHER EDIT:
My desktop is the IBM ThinkCentre A50. Here's the website w/drivers on it:
http://www-307.ibm.c...d=MIGR-55497#ai
I noticed that there's an Ethernet driver, but I don't have that one install anymore, as I replaced it with the wireless ethernet card. Of course now I can't find the original, but do I need to get those drivers? Should I simply download & install all of these?

Edited by Bri K, 25 August 2009 - 05:47 PM.

Bri K

Bri K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I got sick of doing more edits. I also noticed the CHIPSET driver on the website. I'll install that first then I'll do all the other ones & see if I still have a problem.

EDIT:
So I installed all the drivers, starting with the chipset driver for Intel & I've still got the same problem. Those 3 devices are unrecognized & don't have an icon for wireless connection. I'm still stuck.

Edited by Bri K, 25 August 2009 - 06:38 PM.

Mr.E

Mr.E

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

When I double-click on the utility icon on my desktop, the process starts, but the program doesn't come up.

If you were to right click it I would assume there is an option in the menu that pops up to open. Does that not give you anything to work with?

did you install the wireless drivers before or after the chipset? if after it is possible that after installing the chipset drivers the chipset doesnt see the wireless card. you may need to try reinstalling the wireless drivers.. i would uninstall the Networking utility first since the driver .exe file installs that too..

Just a thought though...

Advertisements

Bri K

Bri K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

If you were to right click it I would assume there is an option in the menu that pops up to open. Does that not give you anything to work with?

did you install the wireless drivers before or after the chipset? if after it is possible that after installing the chipset drivers the chipset doesnt see the wireless card. you may need to try reinstalling the wireless drivers.. i would uninstall the Networking utility first since the driver .exe file installs that too..

Just a thought though...

Well I did install the other drivers (including all of the audio ones) after installing the chipset EXCEPT for the Dynex one. I will uninstall & then re-install the Dynex one, but I'm not sure it'll help.
I found this online, should I do this if I still have trouble?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329050

EDIT: Tried this method & in my Hardware Manager, there's no Network Adapters section in there. Boo. I still can't get anything to happen when I either double-click the Dynex Wireless Utility icon or run it from the Start menu. Something fishy is up here. Maybe b/c I don't have java installed? I'm not sure what the problem is.

Edited by Bri K, 26 August 2009 - 05:39 PM.

rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I would still get the ethernet driver, you may want to use this on a cable instead of wireless someday.

Bri K

Bri K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

I would still get the ethernet driver, you may want to use this on a cable instead of wireless someday.

Problem is I don't have a straight up ethernet card, I just have the wireless card. This is extremely frustrating & I'm running out of ideas. Even taking the card out, turning the computer on, then turning the computer off, putting the card back in & turning on the computer doesn't make Windows detect my card as new hardware...could this be an issue?

Edited by Bri K, 26 August 2009 - 06:29 PM.

Mr.E

Mr.E

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Even taking the card out, turning the computer on, then turning the computer off, putting the card back in & turning on the computer doesn't make Windows detect my card as new hardware

To be quite honest i have never heard of Dynex. Perhaps there is a problem with the card itself. Would you happen to have the ethernet card you said came in the laptop? You said the laptop doesnt have a ethernet card as it is right now... so I assume you mean no etherenet port at all? It would be better to have no wireless than to have no ethernet jack. I would suggest to put the ehternet card back in the laptop and get a wireless adapter instead of the wireless card... that will have the same effect while giving you an ethernet jack to use to see if there is a problem with the wireless signal or if its more hardware related.

Maybe b/c I don't have java installed?

I would think that the Dynex utility would give you an error saying that Java wasn't installed and that it is needed to run the program. Since you havent mentioned any errors like this I am thinking that java isn't the problem.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
is the wireless card something that came with the laptop or did you get it separately? where did you get the driver for it?