Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Time to reinstall XP w/repair?

• Please log in to reply

Bri K

Bri K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

is the wireless card something that came with the laptop or did you get it separately? where did you get the driver for it?

The wireless card I bought. I cannot seem to find the ethernet card that my desktop came with, but I will keep searching. Here's where I got the drivers for my wireless ethernet card:
http://www.dynexprod...sktop-card.aspx
It's the right model # & it says drivers under it. I'm thinking that there's a deeper problem than just drivers though b/c the new hardware isn't even detected when I turn the computer on. Maybe I'll try moving the ethernet card to another port? It's in the same place it was when I had it working before the re-install of Windows. I wish I had another computer to test that card on...

Advertisements

Mr.E

Mr.E

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

I cannot seem to find the ethernet card that my desktop came with, but I will keep searching.

Just to be sure I, and everyone else here, understands completely we are working on a desktop and not a laptop, correct?

Maybe I'll try moving the ethernet card to another port?

Excellent Idea. let us know if that works. If it does you are looking at either a bad slot or possibly a Motherboard going bad. You haven't noticed any other troubles or missing devices yet have you? even small glitches can speak volumes if there it is the motherboard going out.

Edit: Only other reason for the card not working in one slot and working in another slot is that it needed to be reseated. This occurs in laptops and desktops alike, but is more common in desktops (in my opinion). This is especially likely if the desktop has been moved or bumped.. maybe the antenna got bumped and knocked one side of the card loose from the slot... just a possibility...

Edited by Death's Requiem Sonata, 27 August 2009 - 08:19 AM.

Bri K

Bri K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Just to be sure I, and everyone else here, understands completely we are working on a desktop and not a laptop, correct?

Yeah desktop. I'm going to be away from my computer for a few days, but I'll give it a shot when I can. I'm not sure about the motherboard going bad only b/c this started happening when I re-installed Windows. I would think it would have happened before if it was really a hw issue. I also wish I had another computer to play around with so I can test if the card gets read with other desktops & not mine. I'll see if I can go over a friends house & have him let me try.
I have used an external HD & a flashdrive but both are USB ones. The only other hw I can think of that doesn't work is my speakers. That's only b/c my computer's audio driver is missing. The one I downloaded from the website in my previous post didn't fix my problem.
Another thing that worries me is that when I open up the Control Panel & go to Add/Remove Programs, there isn't anything listed (well there was the Dynex Utility, but since I removed it there's nothing there again). How can I uninstall a driver & then re-install it? Do I need to go to the folder that contains the driver (I think it's the I386 or something along those lines)? This way I can try re-installing all the drivers again starting w/the chipset driver first & restarting after each driver I install.

Mr.E

Mr.E

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

How can I uninstall a driver & then re-install it? Do I need to go to the folder that contains the driver (I think it's the I386 or something along those lines)? This way I can try re-installing all the drivers again starting w/the chipset driver first & restarting after each driver I install.

As much as I hate to say this the only way I have been able to do this is to reformat and reinstall. Since this is a fresh install anyways you shouldn't be losing any information. Make sure you have the drivers for the chipset and everything already downloaded and burnt to a cd or on a flashdrive or similar. I am not saying that a reinstall is the only way; there may be some other way that I don't know about. But i have had Dell techs tell me before that to do so I would need to completely start over from scratch...

Did trying a different slot on work for the card?

Give the wireless card a try on your friends computer(assuming that they will let you). Hopefully it is not the problem and we are only fussing with a drivers issue... hopefully...

Bri K

Bri K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
So I re-installed XP & now I've been installing the drivers again & they seem to work this time. I get some audio & I'm now going to start on doing the ethernet ones. The problem is I install the Intel Ethernet drivers, but there's only a wired driver, not a wireless one. I'll have to look around a bit more to find it.

Edited by Bri K, 01 September 2009 - 07:53 AM.

Bri K

Bri K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
So I started from scratch & put my ethernet card in another PCI port & it worked. I guess I wasn't jamming it in far enough for the computer to recognize it. All is now well on this computer.
Too bad my work computer just gave me the BSOD. I'll deal with that tomorrow when I get back to work. That should be fun!
Thanks for everyone's help! Mod can close/delete this topic as needed.

Mr.E

Mr.E

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Gratz on getting it working again! Sometimes the most trivial things can cause such a headache... Fortunately you had already gotten everything you needed off of the computer. No info loss is a good thing! I had to reformat my laptop recently; before doing so I was getting everything i needed off of it to an external harddrive. Well i moved most of everything into 4 folders on my desktop and continued moving some other things to the External HDD. I completely forgot to move those four folders to the HDD.. Long story short I formatted AND THEN relized that those folders didnt make it.. about 50 GB of data that i needed gone...

But o well. Life goes on.

Let us know if you need anymore help with this. But I think you got it under control. Way to go!