Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

N router options

• Please log in to reply

315pac

315pac

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just received a new Dell Inspiron 1545, Intel Pentium Dual Core T4200, 2.0GHz 800Mhz, 1M L2 Cache laptop. It has 4GB, DDR2, 800MHz 2 Dimm Ram with Intel 5100 Wireless-N (1x2) Half Mini-Card.

I plan to use this in my newly created office which is in a room over the garage way away from my router. The distance is about 80 feet through four sheetrock walls and one wall that is sheetrock & plywood, and the plywood floor of the office room. It also runs through the kitchen (sort of) which has tile on two walls under the wooden cabinets full of dishes/glassware.

I plan to purchase an “N” router, but wondered if I needed some type of “booster” too? What do you recommend? What router has the best (if any) performance for my situation and/or what is a good booster option?

Thanks, Paul C.

Ps: Or should I just get my cable provider to run a cable to the attic adjacent to my new office over the garage and put my new router there? Can this be done?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Ps: Or should I just get my cable provider to run a cable to the attic adjacent to my new office over the garage and put my new router there? Can this be done?

if you want guaranteed connectivity...just run ethernet from the current router/modem location up into the office and plug in directly to the ethernet connection there...

for the wireless....you're going through a LOT of obstacles there....since wireless is very susceptible to interference from walls and such you're going to have signal loss there....it's POSSIBLE that an N router could over come the obstacles...but i can't say for sure that it would....if you've absolutely got to have wireless up in the office...you could get an N access point instead of a router...run the ethernet cable as previously suggested (from the current router to the office) then plug the access point in up there

note: an access point is different than a router....an access point is basically a wireless switch

315pac

315pac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks. I plan to get a new N router anyway. If it does not work well enough in my new office, that I will go to other options. What N router do you suggest?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i tend to stick with "major brands" like linksys or netgear....i've had success with belkin (i have one on my desk now)...but sometimes they can be a little tempermenatal

315pac

315pac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks!