Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MoBo+CPU Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

normsta72

normsta72

• Pip
  • 4 posts
At the mo I'm certain that my processor is being burnt out as I used to have located underneath my desk on the floor with the vents against the desk it began to freeze so I did all the usual virus/spyware and other tests that are required, found nothing so I asked someone else to look at me for because I thought that the RAM was to blame that came back fine.

It still froze so I formatted it thinking that I might have a trojan on it and it gone undetected it still freezes now.

I am a student so money is tight I would like some confirmation on this please because I am thinking of purchasing this http://www.maplin.co...ModuleNo=228448.

Also I would like some inforation on to how go about uninstalling my old m/bd driver from my HDD before I buy these items pls.

All I know is that I need to do it via device manager but what do I get rid of.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome :)

Before we jump to the new mobo/CPU purchase just yet, let's do some more troubleshooting to see if we can pinpoint anything.

Download Speedfan and install it. Run the program and report back your temperatures and voltages.

Cheers

Troy

normsta72

normsta72

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have attempted to boot up my PC at least 5-6 times but it keeps freezing on boot up within the 1st 2-3mins.

Could this be the CPU then?

Norman

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If you leave it turned off for about a half hour, then try and boot it up again, does it work? I'm thinking that the insides need cleaning out, a fan may be faulty or you need to reapply thermal paste to the CPU.

normsta72

normsta72

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No sorry it still freezes I have left it off all night only just tried it and as I got onto the desktop it froze I rebooted it it logged me in to my msgr provider showed me how many emails i got and froze.