Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Working with two apps, but one always loses focus.

• Please log in to reply

ni-cad

ni-cad

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I would appreciate any advice you guys might be able to give me on running multiple apps, here's my problem.

I have a video app (Adobe After Effects) that plays video compositions that I am working on, it also sends an audio signal out to my audio mixing app which I use to score my video comps and mix their audio, however running both apps at once causes a problem, as soon as I interact with my audio app, the focus switches away from my video app and playback stops Adobe have been un able to remedy this behaviour, even after days of research I have gotten no further, I guess this is a drawback of my OS?

It's very important to me that I can run and work with both of these apps simultaneously and I'm trying to find ways to do this, I have 8 gig of ram, a fast duel core processor and XP64, what are my options?

Can I somehow force both apps to remain in front and not to switch focus?

Would running two operating systems at once on the same pc allow the two apps to be interacted with, without interfering with each other?

Are there any other options open to me, perhaps using "Virtual machines" on my PC?

If there are any suggestions you guys can think of, that I can chase up, I'd be very grateful.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Under Windows only one window can be active at any one time.
However the vast majority of programs can continue in the background (usually via an option). Has it ever worked?

Two operating systems on a PC is possible but isn't going to solve the issue as you can only boot one at a time, A virtual environment is two separate instances so they won't interact with each other.

ni-cad

ni-cad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Under Windows only one window can be active at any one time.
However the vast majority of programs can continue in the background (usually via an option). Has it ever worked?

Not with the app I'm using - Adobe After effects, it will run some background tasks like loading, but it's video output is disabled as soon as there is any mouse interaction, either on it's own GUI or any other app's gui, I've researched the software quite thoroughly there is no way around this.

Two operating systems on a PC is possible but isn't going to solve the issue as you can only boot one at a time, A virtual environment is two separate instances so they won't interact with each other.

The interaction between the two apps is only through audio signals which can run externally even between machines, other than that there's no data passed between the two so a virtual environment might be the answer. I was told that a virtual machine would still cause problems with switching between apps even with one app on the virtual machine the other app would still de-focus.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
edited out.