Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

<windows root>\system32\hal.dll problem

• Please log in to reply

Joemarvill

Joemarvill

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Problem with my laptop...help me plzz!?

Ok...i was trying to extract a rar file using winrar(does't rlly know how to use it) after some few clicking here clicking there, i accidentally deleted something (i thought it was the rar file i was trying to extract) then i tried to open my browser then it said i have to restart laptop and so i did. When i turn on my laptop it said tht there a problem with <windows root>\system32\hal.dll...and tht i have to re install tht in order for it to turn on..i thought about using a back up disk but my laptop doesnt have a cd rom player (cdburner) and i lost the recovery disk too...soo how should i fix it now?

Advertisements

mikepepper

mikepepper

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:) i have had this same problem with ....when i turn on my computer i get this message "windows could not start because the following file is missing system 32\hal.dll.. when i first turn on my computer the curser stops at "floppy diskette seek failure strike the f1 to continue ,f2 to run setup ultility" only pressing f1 gets me anywhere and then the message "press any key to boot from cd"....if i do not press any key then this message appears "(windows root)\system32\dl.dll" if i press any key then it goes thru installing files at the bottom of a blue screen with "windows setup" in the upper left corner of the blue screen and then goes to the screen where i can choose to install xp or recovery or exit. if i choose install xp it goes thru to the microsoft licensing aggreement but it will not acknowledge that i press f8 = i agree and the f8 key is ok because i tried the keyboard on another computer and i tried another keyboard.
when i choose the second option of recovery i do get to a dos prompt but all of the statements are not recognized. example boot.ini "the command is not recognized etc etc etc.i have tried everything i could research but nothing is working .
anybody know something that will work