Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Missing bootmgr

• Please log in to reply

tobbert

tobbert

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello guys

I hope someone can help becouse this problem is keeping me busy for verrrry long. My laptop acer 5520G has one sata port wich i wanna use for some things. I need a OS to work on and have a free sata port at the same time so i installed xp to my usb stick so i got a free sata port wich i can use. I can boot fine to the usb xp but as soon as i remove the hdd wich contains vista i get this message "missing bootmgr" and xp wont start up. I know the installation on the usb stick isnt corrupted becouse it starts working again when i recconect everything. Can someone give me some suggestion to try and fix this problem. Sorry for bad english :) Thanks in advance!

Greetz ToBbErT

Advertisements

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
you need to get the laptop to boot from usb, at the moment its trying to boot from the hdd,

can you change the bios to boot from usb ?

or buy an external hdd and connect that, then there would be no need to take out the sata drive

tobbert

tobbert

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes first boot device is set to usb stick. The usb stick works fine but as soon as i remove the hdd with vista i get the error.

Can i disable a option so my computer doesnt search for the bootmgr but boots to xp? Did acer programmed the bios to check for this file? Im completly lost here.

Edited by tobbert, 20 August 2009 - 02:07 AM.

tobbert

tobbert

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
And i need a free sata port thats the whole point. I need it for flashing consoles on my laptop.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
how did you install xp to the usb

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
is the flashing for a 360 ?

tobbert

tobbert

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I used this program to prepare xp http://www.3eportal....c...16&Itemid=1 and then installed to usb stick.

And yes its mainly for 360's. Usb2sata only works with hitachi drives and there are no express cards with any compatible chipset so all those options fail. So thats why im trying to do it this way. The 360 dvd-rom gets detected in the bios so i know thats ok. I just need to fix that stupid missing bootmgr message.

I know dos16 could be the solution but xp is much easier to work with.

Edited by tobbert, 20 August 2009 - 02:28 AM.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
i don't know whether the way you have installed xp will work on its own, the program you used is for a sd (secure digital) card,

i tried installing xp to usb a different way and failed, in the end i installed linux and it worked first time

bootmgr is the vista boot manager, it seems that the usb is not bootable and that xp is just 'installed' and accessed via vista,
i think you may have to start again

(microsoft say it can't be done)

unless someone else can come up with an idea,

(when i tried installing xp i used this link http://www.ngine.de/article/id/8 but the site seems to be down at the moment,
if you want to give linux a try, then this is the quick and easy way http://www.pendrivel...sb-knoppix-510/ )

there is also the issue of xbox live and flashed consoles - but i'm sure you are aware of that

tobbert

tobbert

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Xp is running fine from usb here and i have been using it for very long without problem. Untill a few days ago when i removed the internal hdd of my laptop. I just need to know what is asking for the bootmgr and how to disable it. Do you think the acer bios is programmed to check to this file. Thx for your time.

tobbert

tobbert

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I got it all running now :) I can finally take advantage of my nforce chipset. Time for a break :)