Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

not my e-mail address

• Please log in to reply

Lead Worker

Lead Worker

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i run win xp pro and my e-mail is microsoft office outlook 07 i receive junk mail as one doe's this junk mail i am trying to control the majority type is of the [bleep] group on looking through some of these i noticed that in the To: line the address typed isn't mine this is the case with at least 80% what could be the cause is there an answer
thanks 'the lead worker'

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You don't need your address on the To: line.

Email can be put on one of three lines and delivered accordingly:

* To: Primary recipients
* Cc: Carbon copy to secondary recipients—other interested parties
* Bcc: Blind carbon copy to recipients who receive the message without others, including the To: and Cc: recipients, seeing who else received it

To: - usually the person(s) you want the email to.

cc: - standing for Carbon Copy, typically for sending to other people as well. Many companies send minutes of meetings, for example, to Fred and they also send copies to Barney, Wilma and Betty. Typically Barney, Wilma and Betty have copies received with their email on CC.

Bcc:- Blind Carbon Copy. Any email addresses here do not show up anywhere in the headers. Many small mailing lists work like this, you put usually the owner's email address into the TO field and everybody else in to bcc. Therefore they get the message but they don't get everybody else's email.

Usually if you receive a mail without your address on it, it's typically BCC:.

Edited by Neil Jones, 21 August 2009 - 04:12 PM.