Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

stuck!

• Please log in to reply

CoySpooksDust

CoySpooksDust

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey all,

I was wondering what the power requirements for these setups are in ampps and watts please? If someone could tell me then I would really appreciate it...

7750 AMD Athlon64 X2 (5.4GHz) CPU
ECS 8100VM-M5 Hybrid SLi Motherboard w/ 6-channel Sound
1GB Corsair 800MHz DDR2 RAM
PNY nVidia GeForce 8400GS 256MB GPU
160GB SATA HDD
DVD/CD-RW Drive

240 AMD AthlonII 64 X2 (5.6GHz) CPU
BioStar TA770E Motherboard w/ 6-channel Sound
2GB 800MHz DDR2 RAM
PNY nVidia GeForce 8400GS 256MB GPU
160GB SATA HDD
DVD/CD-RW Drive

Thanks alot,

CoySpooksDust

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go :)

Use the eXtreme PSU Calculator Lite to determine your power supply unit (PSU) requirements. Plug in all the hardware you think you might have in 2 or 3 years (extra drives, bigger or 2nd video card, more RAM, etc.). Be sure to read and heed the notes at the bottom of the page. I recommend setting Capacitor Aging to 30%, and if you participate in distributive computing projects (e.g. BOINC or Folding@Home), I recommend setting TDP to 100%. Research your video card and pay particular attention to the power supply requirements for your card listed on your video card maker's website. If not listed, check a comparable card (same graphics engine and RAM) from a different maker. The key specifications, in order of importance are:

1. Current (amperage or amps) on the +12V rail,
2. Efficiency,
3. Total wattage.

Then look for power supply brands listed under the "Good" column of PC Mechanic's PSU Reference List. Ensure the supplied amperage on the +12V rails of your chosen PSU meets the requirements of your video card. Don't try to save a few dollars by getting a cheap supply. Digital electronics, including CPUs, RAM, and today's advanced graphics cards, need clean, stable power. A good, well chosen supply will provide years of service and upgrade wiggle room. I strongly recommend you pick a supply with an efficiency rating equal to, or greater than 80%. Look for the 80 Plus - EnergyStar Compliant label. And don't forget to budget for a good UPS with AVR (automatic voltage regulation).
(Thanks to Digerati)

If you haven't purchased these items you specified, I would reconsider purchasing the ECS MOBO.

It is one of the low-end manufacturers. There are usually problems with their hardware to some extent...

You could\should consider a MOBO by:
  • ASROCK
  • ASUS
  • FOXCONN
  • GIGABYTE
  • MSI

Also you are looking at 800mhz ram when you could be looking at 1066mhz ram
This will help speed up your computer...(Of course only if all the hardware supports it)

Hopefully this helps and answers your questions...

Good Luck

CoySpooksDust

CoySpooksDust

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Please delete topic :)