Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thanatophobia

• Please log in to reply

Wander

Wander

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
When, I'm alone sometimes I tend drift off and contemplate death and futility - I can try not to think about it by conjuring up flimsy convictions such as "I have plenty of time left", "In the future I'd probably be more comfortable about this" and "I shouldn't be thinking about this now"
But when I truly delve deep into this issue, I have near panic attacks - No experience, no sense; nothing. This prospect truly terrifies me, a timer that is counting down to an event that is truly inevitable. I feel at these times it is futile - all this effort to learn and achieve will be useless. Any impact I have will be negligible. It is the thought that future will bring new things - learning, knowledge that keeps me motivated. For now, I try to think about the future but not the future as far as death.
This has been pure self-indulgence.

Advertisements

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
I don't fear death.

It's as simple as that. There's no use in trying to avoid the inevitable. I think about death analytically and philosophically, and try to make the most of my time before I die. I know that it will happen eventually, and I plan to make the most out of what little and insignificant time I have.

Ever read The Chosen or Battle Royale?

For what it's worth, I'm about a year younger than you.

Wander

Wander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Sorry, have not read those books - I am not trying to avoid the inevitable, rather have some consolation or advice on how to not be so afraid.
You seem to have more intelligence than most people of my age xD

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I'd rather die than worry about dying... wait...

I'm not worried about dying just yet, I just fear I'm getting old and can't do stuff anymore. Life gets stressful like that sometimes.

When I'm down, some music usually cheers me up.

It's possible you may be in need of medical advice (which you can't get here).

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
I prize my brain greatly. I'd rather die than lose the ability to think meaningful things. (i.e. I'm glad lobotomies were banned.)

Well, the best way to not fear death is to become cynical and jaded (like me) and think that the world and society today is a pile of crap and that there are only a few good things worth living for. That's a sure way to become less fearful of death.

Sorry, that was me being sarcastic :) Anyways, just don't give up. What if Einstein had let thoughts like that overpower him? What if (heaven forbid) Chopin did? Where would we be now? From a "humanist" perspective, the meaning of life is not to have lived it, but to have done something with it that outlives you. "Merely to live, merely to exist; what sense is there to it? A fly also lives." Don't take that the wrong way - don't go around destroying and bombing things (which is what humans have been doing for the last thousand or so years). I'm sure you have the good sense to figure out what I mean by what I just said! :) I think that your primary reason for fearing death is that you are afraid that your life will be transient and ephemeral, and have no real meaning. It's completely up to you not to let that happen! :)

If it gets too bad, you'll likely need some medical help. I might be qualified to provide that in 10 or 20 years!

DSenette banned me :)

:) :) Poor Troy!

Edited by Chopin, 20 August 2009 - 08:53 AM.

Wander

Wander

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
I have multiple personalities to deal with this ;D

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
We're all going to die, everything dies. So what? It's what we do while we're alive that counts. Every day is a new opportunity to grow and challenge yourself. Make sure you say your "I'm Sorry"s and your "I love you"s, and never waste a moment holding a grudge. To be a productive loving person is a way to express gratitude for being alive.

Random, do you have anyone you can talk to? Parent, doctor, pastor, teacher, friend? If you are having a lot of anxiety, please reach out for help. You can PM me if you want and I will call you.
Johanna

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
There is nothing to fear about death. I have actually died twice, but due to an excellent medical staff I was brought back to the even more fearful state called life. Death is a peaceful void. One should not dwell about when or how they will die. They should just accept the fact that it will occur in time. As Johanna said, enjoy your life day to day. Gather those who love you together, voice your concerns and let them know you love them.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

We're all going to die, everything dies. So what? It's what we do while we're alive that counts. Every day is a new opportunity to grow and challenge yourself. Make sure you say your "I'm Sorry"s and your "I love you"s, and never waste a moment holding a grudge. To be a productive loving person is a way to express gratitude for being alive.

Random, do you have anyone you can talk to? Parent, doctor, pastor, teacher, friend? If you are having a lot of anxiety, please reach out for help. You can PM me if you want and I will call you.
Johanna

I agree with what Johanna said, and if you would like to talk with some others that are going through it, I found a forum Here :)

Icedrake

Icedrake

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
There's no need to fear death. It's inevitable and we will all have to die someday. Best thing to do is focus on your current situation and not brood about your death. :) Doing something fun will probably get the thought of dying out of your head too.

Edited by Icedrake, 06 September 2009 - 10:18 AM.

Advertisements

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
I watch "Final Destination" and honestly, I don't want to die that way.. Its horrible :)

Poke

Poke

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
What is there to fear in death itself? Are we not returned to the earth from which we came from?(Or god for you religious folk.) A truly inevitable event, for which a fear of the unknown ingrained within our very psyches fights against because of no experience. Can one ever experience death, and yet live to tell the tale? Or is it one of those unfathomable things, where one can only think about what could or couldn't happen?

Death is not to be feared. It is to be understood. To understand death, is akin to understanding peace. In death, you are granted eternal peace(from a non-secular point.) from the whims of the world. One can only fear what one cannot understand. I cannot give you advice on how to understand a concept of life, you must find it out by yourself.

The future is bright, live everyday like you never want it to stop. Love life, for it shall be taken just as quickly as it is given. Live for tomorrow, forget the past, and cherish the present.

Johnny Tootall

Johnny Tootall

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I try to think about it like this:
I wasn't alive for trillions of years before I was born, and that wasn't so bad.

Johnny

Paul .

Paul .

• Pip
  • 1 posts
death i think will be amazing not to get confused with dying that sux but death when you finally get your answer to every question that you could never know

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
But if you're dead, how are you going to get any answers? Otherwise we might as well just all kill ourselves now...

Now there's a thought-outside-the-box.