Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thanatophobia

• Please log in to reply

Lola James

Lola James

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I don't understand why people should fear to die, I have not had of any human being that refuses to die, even Metusella !

It has been appointed for a man to die once and after death, there is judgment.

I believe people should be worry about what they have been able to achieve in life and how they have help others to live a good life on earth.

One should be able to think of his or her contribution to humanity, help the poor, the hungry's, the needys etc

I am not afraid of death at all because I know it will come one day whether I like it or not.

Advertisements

MalwareBeGone

MalwareBeGone

Spammer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

But if you're dead, how are you going to get any answers? Otherwise we might as well just all kill ourselves now...

Now there's a thought-outside-the-box.

Isn't that the whole point? When were dead, our mind in the living years will never know what comes "after". But if there is nothing and we kill ourselves, isn't that a waste? :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That's what I was getting at in response to Paul's comment. :)

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
I'm certainly not afraid of Death.

If he comes near me he'll get something he didn't anticipate!

One swift knee in the happy sacks!

Cl455icCh4o5

Cl455icCh4o5

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
try watching the film "what the bleep do we know" theres alot of food for thought
the Hypothalamus in the brain controls the regulation of Neurohormones to the body these are caused by emotions, each emotion has an individual neuro peptide that locks into place in a reciever on cells in your body.
if you expierence the same emotion on a regular basis your body becomes addicted to it, meaning when your cells duplicate the new cell needs more receptors for that particular neuro peptide.
this is the interesting bit i promise.....
considering your cells also have to take in nutrients and dispose of waste, the build up of these recievers take up space thus limiting the amount for these processes, leading to fast cellular breakdown
if you could limit your emotions you could in theory extend your cell life thus extending your life.

psychopaths have limited to no emotions it would be interesting to see a study on how long they live compared to the average person.

this is probably why vulcans live so long lol

Brian D.

Brian D.

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

But if you're dead, how are you going to get any answers? Otherwise we might as well just all kill ourselves now...

Now there's a thought-outside-the-box.

i believe he meant that when he dies, he will go to heaven, as I believe also

not to start a religious/athiest dispute, however =)

Mr. Green

Mr. Green

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I have never been too scared of death myself, if it is my time to go it is out of my control.

I think that I fear the pain that most likely would come with my demise more than the actual death.

Strike Martel

Strike Martel

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Personally, I think there will be a way to prevent dying somewhere down the line. Probably not from accidents or some/most/all diseases, but I think senescence can be prevented.
I don't believe in fate or anything. I could top myself tomorrow, or get killed driving my car next week; through intention or not. (I'm not suicidal or ought, just giving an example).

And not everything dies per se. There's a special jellyfish that doesn't suffer from senescence; it's essentially immortal. When it reaches sexual maturity, it can breed or regress into a juvenile thereby starting the cycle again

As for my thoughts and feelings on death, it makes me think that there's just no point in looks, talent, possessions, since they'll be lost. Easy come - easy go. That's just how it is.

Edited by Strike Martel, 18 March 2010 - 07:37 PM.

lynnajoe

lynnajoe

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi
For all you brainiacs-here is a point to consider. Perhaps those things you believe to be true such as how my brain works; or my death is inevitable etc...are in fact not true. If one was to truly check their egos at the door, then immediately the truth will tell you that just because everyone believes something-that does not make it the truth. For example, how long and how many people believed that the world was flat? There is a science that is never touched on this planet nor is it considered science. It is the realm of "being". Death is not inevitable. If it was, then you could perceive yourself dead. Try it and you will see that "you" keep on "being" and not as some floating, weird entity. There is no such thing death. The entire thing you are experiencing and witnessing is an illusion. That is hard to believe, but is true. As someone said earlier they made themselves jaded by looking at all the crap. This planet is a sewer. You have people butchering other people over money etc... What kind of humane being would consider leaving this place as a loss?
Another point about egos. This is the flintstones compared to technology in other places. Though you may not believe this, there are many out-of-towners here now.

Heisei Holmes

Heisei Holmes

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Death is truly inevitable. :D

We're like all other things here on earth. From nothing to a single cell to a fully developed organism back to nothing again-- that's what life truly is.

Let's not make things complicated for they are already complicated.

If you will die, then so be it... ;) ..."The gods envy us because we die..." --Brad Pitt as Achilles (Troy)

Advertisements

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts
Personally, I am just trying to postpone it as long as possible !! :D

geekgirl24

geekgirl24

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Death is completely inevitable, but that doesn't take away the fear of death. Like any and all things in life, it is the fear that is mucb worse than the state. Imagine a first date, an interview, a presentation, a confrontation with a loved one etc.. It is the period leading up to the event that is much more stressful than the actual event! Relax, live your life, and accept what can be accepted!

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
We were conceived in a world beyond our grasp, beyond our knowledge. A world for us to be born in....and to die.

But, what about the "in-between" time? Can we connect birth, life, and death into a flowing stream of consciousness? The only decision that is truly ours is how we choose to spend our days, hours, and minutes.

Will we develop our "beings" into something of significance? Will we find contentment and enjoyment deep within the walls of our being, or will we wander through life blindly, unaware of our own purpose? Will we find this for ourselves or will we perish? Only we can decide.

If we dwell on thoughts of death, then how can we live? Life is the beginning of death, for if we were not given life there would be no death!

When ever I think of life, I find myself drifting through time, aware of everything that I could leave behind for others to learn from and grow on. The final frontier of man will be to understand ourselves, not death, because death is inevitable just as life is!

Edited by DonnaB, 22 December 2010 - 06:44 PM.

Heisei Holmes

Heisei Holmes

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

If we dwell on thoughts of death, then how can we live? Life is the beginning of death, for if we were not given life there would be no death!

...The final frontier of man will be to understand ourselves, not death, because death is inevitable just as life is!

:D And to fear Death is to fear Life.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
To be, or not to be: that is the question:

The tragedie of Hamlet, prince of Denmarke - Shakespeare's words of wisdom.

Hamlet's dilemma is that although he is dissatisfied with life and lists its many torments, he is unsure what death may bring (the dread of something after death). He can't be sure what death has in store; it may be sleep but in perchance to dream he is speculating that it is perhaps an experience worse than life.

:D

Edited by DonnaB, 22 December 2010 - 09:52 PM.