Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thanatophobia

• Please log in to reply

Heisei Holmes

Heisei Holmes

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

To be, or not to be: that is the question:

The tragedie of Hamlet, prince of Denmarke - Shakespeare's words of wisdom.

Hamlet's dilemma is that although he is dissatisfied with life and lists its many torments, he is unsure what death may bring (the dread of something after death). He can't be sure what death has in store; it may be sleep but in perchance to dream he is speculating that it is perhaps an experience worse than life.

;)

Exactly DonnaB..! :D It is the unknown that most of us fear. We don't know what's in store for us after we die. We don't know where we're going and if there's really an immortal soul within us that'll go somewhere.

We do not fear death; we fear the unknown and mysterious thing about death. ;)

Edited by Heisei Holmes, 22 December 2010 - 10:04 PM.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

As posted by Heisei Holmes:
From nothing to a single cell to a fully developed organism back to nothing again

@ Heisei

Your ideals border the philosophies of Epicurus, the ancient Greek philosopher and the founder of the school of philosophy.

I thought you might find this Blog interesting: Why We Should Not Fear Death

Enjoy! :D

Heisei Holmes

Heisei Holmes

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

1. Our pre-vital and post-mortem non-existence are directly analogous.
2. Hence, it is rational for us to fear our post-mortem non-existence
only if it is rational for us to fear our pre-vital non-existence.

3. It is not rational to fear our pre-vital non-existence.
4. Hence, it is not rational for us to fear our post-mortem non-existence.

I'm an empiricist as well as a rationalist. But empiricism dominates in me... :D I like this one.

Thanks DonnaB... That's a very good blog..^_^

jackson_smith

jackson_smith

• Pip
  • 9 posts

When, I'm alone sometimes I tend drift off and contemplate death and futility - I can try not to think about it by conjuring up flimsy convictions such as "I have plenty of time left", "In the future I'd probably be more comfortable about this" and "I shouldn't be thinking about this now"
But when I truly delve deep into this issue, I have near panic attacks - No experience, no sense; nothing. This prospect truly terrifies me, a timer that is counting down to an event that is truly inevitable. I feel at these times it is futile - all this effort to learn and achieve will be useless. Any impact I have will be negligible. It is the thought that future will bring new things - learning, knowledge that keeps me motivated. For now, I try to think about the future but not the future as far as death.
This has been pure self-indulgence.

Hmmmm...

Once there was a man in a vast wilderness; he was lost but thanks to the compass, he soon found himself going in the right direction again. Little did he know there was an oasis just about two miles up ahead of him. As he walked along, in the distance a mirage appeared; the man's mouth watered at the sight of fresh water. He hadn't had a drink in hours; fixing his eyes upon the mirage, he ran toward it. He ended up running in the wrong direction and for three hours, he found himself chasing a mirage. He stopped; what a waste of precious time! Not only was he out of the way but he was thirsty as ever! Pulling out his compass, he followed its direction and three and a half hours later, found himself at the oasis and drinking from its refreshing spring.

So what's the point of the story?

Well, the point is this; the illusions that can be found in life distract us from the real reason for our existence. In your case, the illusion is the vain hope that by distracting yourself, you can delay the inevitable. There is hope though; for the opposite of distracting yourself from the notion of death and dying is to desperately search out the purpose for living. Now, how do we know there is a purpose for living? Well, one cannot escape the fact that life has purpose--whether you make one up for it or not. Why, even Richard Dawkins teaches that the purpose of purpose is that there is none (thereby creating his own purpose)!

Whether you make up your own purpose for living or not, the fact remains; life has purpose--and it is the duty of all of us to find it. When you find it, it should bring you peace, contentment, and true happiness--things that the possessions of life cannot give you.

Filippos

Filippos

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
You can't really avoid it,it's just a matter of time.I once lost my dad,his death was sudden that i kind of wanted to die to find him.Anyway after that i don't really care if i die now or after X years,i just don't care that much if or when,i don't want to die but i don't care if i will since i know there will be some1 to welcome me.

todo

todo

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
why should i worry about Death

If you are a religious person and you believe that you are Good you will get judged For your actions
then start doing the right things and worry about what you do in every day try to be good and help others etc....

If you are not religious and you want to think about death you won't get anything but anxiety and depression
so for that leave it at there
and take johanna advice

Live your every day like it's the last day " no one know when he will die " so try to be good help others
and live your life happily

some of Philosopher think that religions are created to make the people not worry about life after death

what ever you do i advice you to live in happy way

Thunder7102

Thunder7102

GeekU Freshman

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
A even better question is this: Do you not have better things and more important matters to attend to than to ponder what will happen at the end? Do not go around counting chickens before they hatch. If a runner is running a race and constantly thinking what will happen when he finishes, how good do you think he will do in that race? He will be so distracted that he will be completely unable to go all out. Worry about current problems now, and worry about future ones later. On your death bed, then you may think about death.

todo

todo

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
BTW steve Jobs said he wanted to be something in the afterLife it's in the End of the Bio Book

:'(