Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Workgroup to a Domain

• Please log in to reply

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
I'm adding a few new computers to my domain. I currently have user profiles on those machines. I was wondering if there is a free software or something that once I join the domain to transfer all info from the old profile to the new profile that was created after I joined the domain. I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
xp has a program called the files and settings transfer wizard...what you would want to do is log in under the local profile and run that utility to export the local profile...export it to the machine or a shared server location or wherever it's easiest to get to...then log on as the domain user and use the wizard to import what you exported

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

xp has a program called the files and settings transfer wizard...what you would want to do is log in under the local profile and run that utility to export the local profile...export it to the machine or a shared server location or wherever it's easiest to get to...then log on as the domain user and use the wizard to import what you exported

Thanks allot dsenette for getting back to me. Where can I find the transfer wizard. Also it would be alright to trasnfer to a flash drive correct? One last thing with the transfer wizard as far as MS outlook emails go that wizard will transfer all the emails as long as there in that profile correct? That way I don't need to create .pst files then transfer them over to the new profile correct? Thanks again.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
press start, then programs, then accessories, then system tools, then click on the files and settings transfer wizard. when you're logged on as the local user you want to choose "old computer" then press next, once it does it's magic it will ask where you want to save the profile, choose the "other" option and browse to where you want to save the profile...

then when you log on to the domain user...you want to do the same thing...but choose "new computer" this time, choose "i don't need the wizard disk" and press next, choose the "other" option and browse to where you saved the profile from the local user and press next

this SHOULD copy the default PST that outlook saves when they're using email...if not you can just search the local computer for *.pst and copy that file over to the domain account

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Perfect. Thanks again I really appreciate.