Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

In need of raw calculation power

• Please log in to reply

Badedyret

Badedyret

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi

I'm in the market for a new computer to run heavy-duty eulerian and langrian model simulations with more than 15.000 individual calculation cells and 20.000 timesteps.

My budget is roughly 2000AUS$ or 1700US$

Graphics and gaming perfomance is secondary for me, what I need is raw and fast calculation power. Unfortunately I have a very limited knowledge in building computers so I would be very grateful if you guys could help me out with a powerful build within the range of my budget.

So far this is the build I've come up with:

• CPU: INTEL Core i7 920
  • Motherboard: MSI X58 PRO-E, DDR3 MB with 6 x DIMM, Max 24G of Memory and DrMOS Technology
  • RAM: 6(3x2)GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz ram Low-Latency, run in Triple Channel Configuration with Heatspreader and lifetime warranty
  • Hard Disk: Seagate 1TB SATA II 32M cache
  • DVD burner: Pioneer DVR217BK 20X Dual-Layer SATA Burner (or LG 22X SATA Burner)
  • Video Card: MSI (or Palit, Galaxy, Zotac) Nvidia GTS250 1G DDR3 Video Card
  • Network: Gigabit Ethernet on Board (Broadband Ready)
  • Sound: Home Theater Quality 8 Channel High Definition Audio on Board
  • Case: Antec Three Hundred Gaming Case
  • Power Supply: Codegen (or Titan) 600W Dual 12V Power Supply
  • Warranty: 1 Year RTB Warranty include parts, labor and test service /

PRICE: 1616,00 AUS$ / 1341,00 US$

Now this is a bit under the budget, and I'm in doubt if I should use the remaining funds to upgrade to a core i7 950, or increase the memory, or perhaps buy an effective cooling system so I can overclock my machine while I run my model simulations?

All input is welcome: both to the current build and the upgrade ideas! I hope to hear a lot of feedback from all of you.

Cheers!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome :)

Where are you - AUS or US? This will make quite a difference as the market prices are not equal. Also where are you buying from?

Cheers

Badedyret

Badedyret

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi, and thanks for the warm welcome! :)

Im located in Australia and will be buying from an Australian supplier. So far I've found the best offers on pre-build computers from this ebay seller:

http://shop.ebay.com...88gcchou/m.html

cheers

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Two points about your list first: 1) No OS listed 2) Get the PSU upgraded from the cheapo Codegen to something decent.

Badedyret

Badedyret

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks for your reply :)

OS is not included in the price from this seller, but I have a copy of vista home 64bit which I intend to use unless I can get some kind of sweet deal on windows 7.

What do you recommend instead of Codegen? I can get a Asus 750W Power Supply for around 211 aus$ at www.getprice.com.au, but I honestly have little to no knowledge in difference between PSU's, and I'm currently a bit too busy with my MPhil to do proper research in the various PSU's out there.

I just noticed that you're located at the Gold Coast, so I was wondering if you could give me some hints on where you normally buy computers/parts from? Im located at the Gold Coast as well you see :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
For a build like that, I would be looking at using either an Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, or OCZ power supplies. I use whatever's the cheapest from my suppliers when I need it - all those brands are pretty good. Somewhere around the 500-600W range would be sufficient.

Badedyret

Badedyret

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Alright, Ill consider that. Thank you very much for your help and guidance.

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
I'd go 650-700 just to be on the safe side.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
That's not necessary. A high-quality 400W PSU could easily power this build.

Badedyret

Badedyret

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks for the input guys.

I've made some changes to the original build-idea: I added more RAM and found a low-noise case and PSU, which can support RAID once I can afford additional harddrives. Graphics is as mentioned secondary which is reflected in the budget choice of a Sapphire 4670.

Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz LGA1366 CPU
ASUS P6T X58 Motherboard
12GB G.Skill RAM (2x 3x 2GB) DDR3
Harddrive: 1TB Seagate 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
Samsung SATA DVD Burner
Sapphire 4670 Graphics Card PCI-Express
Corsair TX-650 650W PSU
Antec P183 Black Case