Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Broken USB Outlet, can't quite get back running

• Please log in to reply

destinybond

destinybond

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I'm posting this on behalf of my friend. I wasn't exactly sure where to post it, but since the USB outlet was the start, I figured I'd try here.

Her USB outlet was broken and she couldn't get the computer to boot up. Someone from Dell came out to assist her. He replaced the outlet, along with the mother board, and memory stick. The computer fired up just fine and he left. However, he didn't try and do anything with it. She was able to log into Windows (Vista) twice, but both times, the system froze almost immediately upon login. Now, she can't get the keyboard to respond to actually log on to Windows unless she boots in safe mode.

I haven't had a chance to look at it myself, and apologize for not being able to provide more detail, but I wanted to post here and see if anyone had any suggestions as to what the issue might be now. I'm hoping to try and get her up and running sooner than Dell can come out and look at it again, so any ideas I can arm myself with going in would be appreciated.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

Everything points to a hardware problem since the laptop just went through a motherboard swap. Since the laptop is apparently under warranty, I advise you contact Dell to make things right. Any other avenue you take may only lead to worse troubles. Let Dell fix it as they should.