Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will not respond at all

• Please log in to reply

pelirojo

pelirojo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My computer has had a virus that prevents me from running any anti-virus program including McAfee, Hijack this, anti-Malware bytes, and combofix. Until yesterday it would allow me to run other programs on it but then someone told me to install a program called stopzilla and from that point on I have not been able to open any executable program or file without the computer freezing and then automatically restarting. Then when it reboots the computer is frozen and does not respond to any mouse or keyboard commands. Does anyone have any advice of how I can get this virus removed from my computer. Thank You

Advertisements

jadi929

jadi929

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
did you try turning it on in safe mode?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried System Restore?
Have you made sure the system is clean?
Who helped you run Combofix as this should never be run without the supervision of a trained Malware Tech
It could render your system completely unusable!!

pelirojo

pelirojo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have tried it in safe mode and windows will not boot up that way. The person that helped me run comboix was one that showed me this website and used it about a month ago.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Has the virus been identified?
Stopzilla is a antispyware program.
The system does not boot into windows at all at this point correct?
Do you have your Genuine Windows Installation disk?
Is it a OEM, Retail or upgrade?

pelirojo

pelirojo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It is windows XP media center which I came on a factory toshiba laptop about 4 years ago. Windows will initially start up in normal mode but not in safe mode. But when in it is normal mode I can not open any file or any program without the computer shutting itself down before opening it. If i just leave the windows running without opening anything it freezes after about 3 minutes.
Also with the original windows CD do i have to completely reformat the hard drive or is there a repair option that I have.
Thank You

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).