Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changed hard drives

• Please log in to reply

farmboy1993

farmboy1993

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello! I had my old hardrive go bad, so I had a maxtor 120gb harddrive and installed it. I turned it back on. It came up the hp logo, then it went to a screen saying Windows didn't start sucessfully do to a recent hardware or software change. It give me options like safe mode, etc. I'm assuming I did something wrong when I replaced the hard drive, but I don't know what. Please help........ Thanks....Don.......

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how many hard drives were in the machine to begin with? how many hard drives are in there now? where did the replacement come from? did the replacement have windows installed on it?

farmboy1993

farmboy1993

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
It had only on hard drive in it. The old one had windows xp on it. The replacement came out of another comp. I didn't use anymore. It has windows XP on it too.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have the XP disk that came with the computer? (the one that you put the drive in not the one that you took the drive out of)

farmboy1993

farmboy1993

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have a 7-disk set that says it will return my comps. hard disk drive to its original software configuration. This is for the comp. that the hard drive went bad in.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...well you'll want to do that....i would assume disk one is where you would start...are they CDs? if so put disk one in the cd drive and restart the computer...when prompted press a key to boot from CD and follow the instructions from there....if you get stuck post here

farmboy1993

farmboy1993

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yes! They are cd's! I will run disk one now..........Thanks....If I have problems I will post I'll let ya know.....Lol.......

farmboy1993

farmboy1993

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ok! I ran disk 1, with no problem. Put in disk 2 and it has a pop up screen that says C:\PRELOAD\BASE_A.INP not found. It gives me the options of Abort, Retry, and Ignore. What should I do?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
not sure...what happened after disk 1? what does disk 2 say on it (and the subsequent disks)? did you put disk 2 in after you got into windows?

farmboy1993

farmboy1993

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
After disk one, It said please insert disk two. I did that and it took off copying files like disk on did, and at 37% it gave me that pop up screen. All the disks say the same thing on them as did disk one.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hmm this does not bode well

does the computer have a sticker on it that has the windows key on it? do you have a real windows disk? (not the recovery disks that you're using now)

farmboy1993

farmboy1993

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yes! It has the sticker on it with the windows key. It says windows xp home edition. I do have a new full, unregistered version of windows xp home edition.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so you've got a copy of xp home that's never been activated or installed? is it OEM or retail (it should say so somewhere on the package)

farmboy1993

farmboy1993

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I just bought it off ebay a few days ago. It says it's a ...Original GENUINE MS Retail Commercial Version and NOT an OEM, Academic, or CD-R copy....

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
neat! hehe does it have a cd key sticker on it (similar to the one that's on the computer)?