Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop Hardware?

• Please log in to reply

m3bik

m3bik

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I've recently got a Dell Inspiron 6000. When I press the power button, the power, charging, and processing lights turn on, stay solid for a couple of seconds, then the computer turns off. It does not post bios.

I've determined the hard drive was bad (HERE), so I've replaced it.

I received a replacement hard drive today, but I still get the same issue. Could it be the RAM, or what? Does anyone have any ideas?

Any ideas at all would help.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by m3bik, 20 August 2009 - 03:50 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
When you start up the laptop can you hit the F2 button and get into the BIOS, and the computer stays on? How is the battery in the laptop? A bad battery can cause this sort of problem.Do you know if the system is charging the battery at all when plugged in to AC power?

SRX660

m3bik

m3bik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I can not hit F2 and get into the BIOS. It does not stay on long enough.

I've checked the battery indicator, it says it's full. I've tried plugging it into the power adapter (no lights come on that I can see when it's plugged..I find this odd because my older laptop always has a light on when it's plugged in) and still the same thing. Since I don't see any light indication, I do not know if the battery is charging when it's plugged in.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you cannot get into the bios and be able to move around it is more than likely the motherboard is bad. The bios is so simple and basic that only a bad hard drive has ever stopped me from getting there and yours had a new HD.

SRX660