Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP Pro hangs on Startup

• Please log in to reply

jrmortgage

jrmortgage

• Pip
  • 4 posts
tried starting in Safemode, but that stops in the middle at system32\drivers\Mup.sys. This is after a reinstall of Windows on a computer that came to me without a harddrive or memory.

Edited by jrmortgage, 20 August 2009 - 05:41 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Are you saying, you have brand new hard drive, and RAM?

jrmortgage

jrmortgage

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
memory=new, hdd=used,60gb,formatted NTFS by Win XP, ran QUICK & Extended SMART test thru BIOS prior with zero errors.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What was used to install Windows? Genuine XP CD?

jrmortgage

jrmortgage

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, I used retail version Windows XP Professionalversion 2002 with Genuine Product Key

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

The mup.sys error is one of the more insidious error messages you can get. If you do a search, you will find the only real fix is a complete re-install of XP. Do NOT use the Quick Format option.

If it errors again, clean your cd drive and disk. Another error and I would hazard your cd is corupted.

Murray

jrmortgage

jrmortgage

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay, did reinstall WinXP, restarted, running in Safe Mode and got past Mup.sys error but now I'm being asked for the Administrator Password when I haven't gotten to enter one yet. Tried entering thru leaving the field blank and a few other passwords like "manager" & "administrator" , etc., but XP will not let me pass. Please continue to advise me and know in advance that your expert assistance is greatly appreciated. Keep up the great work, men and women of Geekland! You are helping make the dangerous cyberworld a bit more habitable for the rest of us. Thank you.

Edited by jrmortgage, 22 August 2009 - 06:02 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Just make sure, you perform clean install: http://www.michaelst...nxpinstall.html, including removing old partition, creating new one, formatting, etc.