Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new cpu -and dead pc

• Please log in to reply

colinpost

colinpost

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I changed my cpu from a amd xp 2500+ to a 3000+ with the following effects:

The pc boots up as normal ( screens tells me the processor, ram and the ide hard drive). This is followed immediately by a matrixoff white dots and a non flashing cursor.

When the original processor is put back in – guess what exactly the same.

I can access the bios and the cpu and hard drive is recognised. Though I haven’t re-added the original dvd-drives…(.mm….i’m wondering does xp think it’s a new machine and wont boot ?)

All leads and connectors are the same before the switch as the motherboard (matsonic ms8147c) can handle the new upgraded cpu . There is power going to the motherboard as the cpu is working. I’ve checked the hard drive on my other machine and its totally healthy. But when replaced back, it is just hanging and will not go into xp.
……so any ideas. ....graphics card or motheroard ....I’ve hit a brick wall !!!!!!!!

Advertisements

TODDNH1971

TODDNH1971

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Whenever a processor or MB is changed, windows goes nuts. Try booting from your XP disk.

If that works, then I would try either doing an automated system recovery or just reinstall windows.

Take care,
Todd

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Do the window files actually start to load at all or do the white dots appear before that point?
If it windows does start to load, then can you load fully in safe mode instead?
If it doesn't start, can you boot from a boot disk or CD?

When you upgraded the CPU, did you also upgrade the heatsink/fan?
Have you check the CPU temps?