Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Installing XP pro on a sata drive

• Please log in to reply

G-bo

G-bo

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi folks this could be a silly question but here goes,I want to buy another hard drive so I can run all my music production software on a disk separate from my everyday system.The best os for running recording software is still XP Pro or Home.Can't remember if I read it or someone told me that there was some kind of issue or problem with installing XP on a sata drive.I can't understand why there would be but thought I should ask the experts to be sure.Thanks a lot.Cheers.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
There was a problem with XP first version when the only way to install Sata drivers was from a floppy drive that came with the sata drive. I think there is still a problem installing with a SP1 xp CD. I have been using a SP2 XP oem disk and do not have any problems installing on many different newer motherboards.

Bottom line is use a SP2 disk and you will not have any problems unless you are using a early motherboard( 2 years old or older) that the bios won't see the disk.

SRX660

G-bo

G-bo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Wow ,that was fast.Thanks much for the info,as the motherboard is recent and I will be installing service pack 3 I should be good to go.thanks again,appreciate it.Cheers.