Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Heatsink Trouble

• Please log in to reply

p12op4n3

p12op4n3

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hi im new to the forums and have been reading through the help sections. I cant find anything directly relating to my problem. This is my first pc build and i have been following the Haynes Build your own computer third edition, and found the book very good for explaining to newbies what does what and what fits what etc. But it doesnt help pinpoint these sort of problems.

The problem im having is that ive plugged everything into what i believe to be correct, the heatsink is clipped in properly and the 4pin is pluged into the 4pin labelled cpu_fan ive checked the connection removing it and plugging it in again and still the fan does not spin, it twitches once on power up but then nothing. Please help :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds more like a shorting problem.
When you turn the system on is the PSU fan turning or does it stop also?

Try the following and let us know what the results are.

Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except

* keyboard
* mouse
* video output
* 20+4 powercable
* 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
* Cpu fan wire
* power and reset button to the case
*case speaker

Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on

If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

p12op4n3

p12op4n3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
sorry for the delay in reply. i have followed your instructions as best i could.
In the first step i checked the psu fan works but does not feel as strong as the case fan, im not sure what intensity is normal.
The next i unplugged almost everything you said, the reasoning being that i could not keep my vid output without keeping my graphics card. the second problem was i was unsure which the 4/8pin 12v wire you meant (sorry its still new to me) the problem was still the same. i checked my standoffs and they are clearly marked on the motherboard, i was contemplating the net stage and little intimidated in running everything outside.
Il name the parts im using as there may be somthig specific to the brand that i dont know of, mainly for the mobo reference.

mobo- gigabyte ga-ep45tud3p
graphics card- sapphire radeon hd vapour x 2gb
ram- (via crucial) ddr3 2g 240pin dimm (2)
hd- udma sata 300 160gb
case- nzxt guardian 921
processor- core2 quad q9550

im hope everthing is compatible i believe it is. sorry
thanx

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So the case fan is turning even when the cpu fan does not?
I would say you may have a faulty cpu fan then.
Do you have another cpu fan to test the connection on the MOBO?
How about another system to test the cpu fan on?

p12op4n3

p12op4n3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I wanted to start a freash so i sold my last system to fund this one.I have no main system to interchange pieces although I have this laptop and an old spare laptop which i would tamper with if there is anyway of riggin that to check?

Everything was sealed boxed and new. Who would you inquire if you were me, the supplier or intel?
I can go out tomorrow and buy a new cpu fan and assumably i will need a tube of paste for a second hand piece?
Thanx

p12op4n3

p12op4n3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
sorry forgot to state, all fans are working except the most important being the cpu
thanx

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then I say you have a faulty CPU fan or Faulty CPU MOBO connector.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Are you able to get any output to your monitor?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
How long are you leaving it on for? I say this because the first time I powered up my system, it took about 5 seconds before the CPU fan started to spin. It freaked me out, but it's fine. Mine still takes about 5 seconds before it finally decides to come to life when I turn my computer on from cold.

My official "analysis" is that the processor is cold so it just doesn't need it straight away.

If you're really worried but want to test, setup a house fan to blast on it from outside and then try it and see.

Cheers

p12op4n3

p12op4n3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanx for all the advice and help, ive been and bought a new heatsink by Artic cooling its the Alpine 7 gt. I hope its just the fan that was faulty not the mobo. :)
There is no output to the monitor - the pc doesnt seem to boot. (if it is i cant see, im not sure now)
The first time i powerd the pc up i hadnt realised the cpu fan wasnt spinning and couldnt understand why the pc wasnt loading, it had maybe a minuite to start up, does the cpufan not have anything to do with the pc not loading?
I will set it up and test it.
Thanx

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No output to the monitor?
I'm confused, are you saying there is no place to connect the monitor to the computer?

p12op4n3

p12op4n3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I misunderstood, i meant there is no activity on the monitor. It is plugged in an everything but nothing loads up, no reaction when i turn the pc on. sorry

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is your video onboard or is it a addon card?
Check to make sure it is seated correctly if it is a addon.
Turn system off and unplug it. Then push and hold power button for 5 seconds. This will discharge any leftover power in the PSU.
Let it sit for a few minutes and then plug everything back in and restart.
Does this fix the problem now?

p12op4n3

p12op4n3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
its an addon card. im starting to really worry now as the second brand new fan does not work either. i tried pushing the power button without the mains to drain the pc but it had no effect. im starting to worry its the processor itself or the mobo.
i can take some fotos of what it all looks like atm if it could be of use?
Its just a thought but i cable tied alot of the wires at the back to neaten them up. could it be this, also the 4pin main plugs are not seperate from the psu as standard theyre a linked connection, maybe there is some format of connecting these that was not stated. i may be thinking far out now, i dont know.:)
thanx

p12op4n3

p12op4n3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
to add, i think it is connected properly as it the connector only fits one way round and cliks into place there is also a screw and two clips to hold it in securely
thanx