Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Heatsink Trouble

• Please log in to reply

p12op4n3

p12op4n3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
sorry to add again, i looked at the New build computer problems?, What to do now? topic, what is a cmos? i wikid it but that was an in depth explanation Complementary metal–oxide–semiconductor (CMOS). i have double checked again all connections are in the right ports i am 100% they are correct. The standoffs are also 100% correct as i have removed the motherboard, checked and replaced- also they are clearly marked. Also what are the jumpers? (sorry i am new to this and have not aquired all the terminology). The power 20+4 also seems to be correct, i have d/c it and reconnected -it slots in nicely. I previously d/c everything except vid output, power, cpu, powerbutton cable, case speaker as asked, which is also in this article. When you say ps2 mouse what do you mean precisely? It is not a usb mouse.
I am unsure what field this problem now hits as im starting to think that the heatsink and pc not booting are seperate issues? what sort of topic should i look at?
Thanx

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I suggest you take photos of the connection on the fan and on the MOBO.
Also take pics of the Video card and PSU.
I would like to see everything we have looked at so I can see what you are seeing.
Try to get a real good pic of the MOBO if you can.
CMOS is controlled by that little Watch Battery on the MOBO.
It is what keeps the settings in the BIOS correct.
I will wait for your pics.
When you save the pics on your system try to save them as JPEG's as this will compress them more then the other formats.
Save them in a easy place to find.
When you reply you may have to make more then one reply to get all the pics attached.

p12op4n3

p12op4n3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
thanx for the def.
Ive taken quite a few fotos in an order including everything so that you can see better. if there is anything else you need to see i can take more. sorry the photo size is so large, it is a jpg but i do not have photoshop on here to compress it.
thanx for the help.

Attached Thumbnails

• Overview..jpg
  • The_new_heatsink_and_connection.r.jpg

p12op4n3

p12op4n3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
The list in order
main overview.
new heatsik

This post
overview slots sata connection
overview sata standoffs fpanel
connection closeup

Attached Thumbnails

• overview_slots__sata_connections.r.jpg
  • overview_sata__standoffs__fpanell.r.jpg
  • connection_closeup.r.jpg

p12op4n3

p12op4n3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
clearly marked cables
faudio sysfan1
overview audio sysfan1 graphics c

Attached Thumbnails

• clearly_marked.JPG.r.jpg
  • f_audio__sys_fan1.r.jpg
  • overview__audio__sysfan1_graphics_card_slot.r.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This could very well be a problem with the cpu fan connection on the MOBO
Have you tried the fan on a different system to make sure it is indeed working?
The only issue thatis the same at this point is the MOBO.
The pics are very good and detailed. Thank you for them as now I can what you see.
The fan connection is clearly marked and you have it connected there.
This is where I'm thinking the problem is.

To answer a previous question you asked about PS2 mouse.
This type of connection is a little round connector that plugs in the back of your system. Usually it will be color coded being either
Purple, pink or blue

p12op4n3

p12op4n3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
graphics in slot
graphics card dual power plugged
faudio ddr3- named 1-4. slots 1/3 in use

Attached Thumbnails

• graphics_card_in_slot.r.jpg
  • graphics_card_dual_power.r.jpg
  • Image.r.jpg

p12op4n3

p12op4n3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
i have a few more pics to add, to be thorough.
This is the second fan that ive tried, the first is the intel. i have not checked either fan on a diff system, they were both brand new. I can get it checked maybe tonight or defo tomorow.
Thanx for explaing everything.

p12op4n3

p12op4n3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
If the connection on the mobo is bad, does that mean the entire mobo is useless? or can it be fixed?

The last of the pics will be.
psu
cables tidied -too tight?
connections to hd
connections in cd drive

Thanx

Attached Thumbnails

• psu.r.jpg
  • cables_tidied.r.jpg
  • Connections_to_HD.r.jpg
  • Connections_in_CD_drive.r.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

If the connection on the mobo is bad, does that mean the entire mobo is useless? or can it be fixed?

If this is what it really is then there is no way to fix it. This is why I want make sure it is the MOBO or the fans. I have seen brand new hardware not work right out of the box.
This way testing it on a known working system will tell us if the fans are working.
I would suggest trying both fans to make sure.
When you test them just plug the fan into the mobo cpu fan connector on the system you test it on. Turn the system on and the fan should start and continue to run. 5 seconds should be long enough. Turn system off and try other fan.
Do not let run any longer then this because you will have to disconnect the fan that is on the cpu you are testing with. We don't want the cpu to be overheated while testing.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi p12op4n3...

In post 18, in the second picture, it looks like the mobo power connector is unoccupied. Could you post a closeup of the upper left quarter of the mobo...face on?

wannabe1

p12op4n3

p12op4n3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
is this the area you meant? the plug in use is the 20+4pin the other is labelled ide im not sure what that is for at the moment.
im having trouble uploading atm ill try in the next post.

p12op4n3

p12op4n3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
im sorry about this. im having a ridiculus problem now. the attachment ed is sayin im usin 2.03 mb of 2mb which is not true as the image is exactly 191kb. ill wait a bit and hope it sorts itself out as its out of my hands. sorry

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I've circled the connector I'm referring to in the image below. Looks like an 8 pin motherboard power connector with no power to it. You should have an 8 pin power lead from the power supply that fits there...it may be a lead with two 4 pin connectors that will (or are) snap together. The wires would likely be yellow and black.
mobo_pwr.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Aha I see what you are looking at Wannabe1.
Second picture in post 18.
The cpu fan connector is next to green ribbon connector. and cpu fan is plugged into a different connector on the right upper corner of MOBO.
Great catch. :)