Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BT broadband wireless router login problem

• Please log in to reply

lexus430

lexus430

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have just moved houses and have a new BTYahoo broadband service I can get on with the Voyager 205 they supplied but I cant get on with the Belkin wireless router. The Belkin was working fine in my last place and it shows a synced dsl connection when plugged in. I can also see the wireless lan through ethernet and wireless connections. The only major difference from conf pov is the [email protected] seems to be the account id and this is different from previous bt account id whic was a more normal xnnxxx. the other parameters that I think might be relevant are its PPPoA, VC MUX, 0,38. I would like to know where the voyager stores its dial out parameters so I can double check but at the moment I am stumped! :tazz:

anythoughts welcome

ta

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Goto start > run > type: cmd > type: ipconfig /release > type: ipconfig /renew -- can you actually renew your IP (whilst connected through your Belkin router)? If you cannot, this may be caused by your TCP/IP becoming stale -- this often happens when wireless devices are moved around. If you cannot renew your ip, try the following:
Download and run the WinsockXP Fix. Restart your computer.
If the WinsockXP Fix did not solve the problem, run the following commands in Command Prompt:
netsh winsock reset -- Restart your computer; if this did not solve the problem, reset your TCP/IP settings:
netsh int ip reset reset.txt -- Restart your computer.

Did this in any way help?

lexus430

lexus430

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanks Dan

I tried your suggestions but got a few problems. the ipconfig/release didnt work because "Media Disconnected" I have no idea what this means! the full response was "Media Disconnected no operation can be performed on wireless network connection while media disconnected"

I tried the rest anyway, the netsh reset went through a reboot but the netsh int ip .... wouldn work when connected to the belkin but seems to have been completed ok when the voyager is back on.

I downleaded and ran the winsock fix as well which seemed happy enough when it finished and rebooted but alas still no luck. I have now also restored factory defaults on the belkin and reconfigured all the settings for the connection but still nothing.

as a matter of interest the BTYahoo software has built in some sort of monitoring as when i try to go onto a web site with wireless connected the pop up broadband connection troubleshooter springs to life however when taking the fix option it says it can not see a modem!

any other suggestions - except the get a BT wireless as its only 11b and i dont want to run a nice 2m service under constraints let alone buy another hunk of kit from BT

thnx

Steve

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
This might be caused by Media Sense. Try Disabling Media Sense.
Check your IP schema on both computers -- are they the same?
Do: ipconfig /all in Command Prompt -- please post the results.
Can you ping your router?
Can you ping the other computer on the network?
Can you ping your own IP?
Can you ping localhost / 127.0.0.1?
Can you ping your computers name?
Can you ping the other computers name?
What do you mean the netsh int ip command wouldn't work? What happened? Any error messages?
Is your router functioning properly, ie: all the necessary lights are on steady?
Are you using more than one adapter?
Have you set a static IP Address?

lexus430

lexus430

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanks Dan

I tried your suggestions but got a few problems. the ipconfig/release didnt work because "Media Disconnected" I have no idea what this means! the full response was "Media Disconnected no operation can be performed on wireless network connection while media disconnected"

I tried the rest anyway, the netsh reset went through a reboot but the netsh int ip .... wouldn work when connected to the belkin but seems to have been completed ok when the voyager is back on.

I downleaded and ran the winsock fix as well which seemed happy enough when it finished and rebooted but alas still no luck. I have now also restored factory defaults on the belkin and reconfigured all the settings for the connection but still nothing.

as a matter of interest the BTYahoo software has built in some sort of monitoring as when i try to go onto a web site with wireless connected the pop up broadband connection troubleshooter springs to life however when taking the fix option it says it can not see a modem!

any other suggestions - except the get a BT wireless as its only 11b and i dont want to run a nice 2m service under constraints let alone buy another hunk of kit from BT

thnx

Steve

lexus430

lexus430

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Ventis
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Belkin

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : PRISM 802.11g Adapter (3886)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-90-4B-8D-83-A0
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 14 May 2005 11:22:01
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 19 January 2038 04:14:07

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adap
ter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-03-0D-18-B7-16
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 14 May 2005 09:57:25
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 13 June 2005 09:57:25

At the moment i am using one machine and swaping the dsl cable between the belkin and voyager i was connected to the voyager 205 when i did the ipconfig command above.

S

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
I need you to do it when you are connected through the router.
Thanks.

lexus430

lexus430

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hi Dan some answers to your othrer questions

This might be caused by Media Sense. Try Disabling Media Sense. - will do this next

Check your IP schema on both computers -- are they the same?

Do: ipconfig /all in Command Prompt -- please post the results. see previous post
Can you ping your router? yes no prob pinging 192.168.2.1
Can you ping the other computer on the network? no
Can you ping your own IP? yes
Can you ping localhost / 127.0.0.1? yes
Can you ping your computers name? yes
Can you ping the other computers name?no but i have only ver used the wireless for accessing internet and shared printer so this may be unrelated
What do you mean the netsh int ip command wouldn't work? What happened? Any error messages? this seemed to run fine this time so i must have typeoed
Is your router functioning properly, ie: all the necessary lights are on steady? yes status looks ok and normal
Are you using more than one adapter? no only the one adapter
Have you set a static IP Address? no

are you convinced its not a bt logon issue ?

thnx Steve

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Did you try restarting your computer after resetting the TCP/IP?
And I still need that ipconfig /all whilst you're connected through your router -- also, did you try all of those commands whilst connected to the router?
Thanks.

lexus430

lexus430

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
wireless network is working fine - can access all resourses through the server - printer shares etc, but still no ability to sign on to broadband. have borrowed a netgear wireless modem/router and it also can not connect to broadband service.

hope this helps its taken witrh the voyager attached of course

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ventis
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adap
ter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-03-0D-18-B7-16
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 20 May 2005 09:23:45
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 19 June 2005 09:23:45

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : PRISM 802.11g Adapter (3886)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-90-4B-8D-83-A0

C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen>

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
1. Use ipconfig /renew to obtain a new IP.
2. Make sure the green/blue light is on and receives the signal.
3. Update the NIC driver.
4. Make sure you have good cable.
5. Try to assign a static IP.

Mike9

Mike9

• Pip
  • 8 posts
this might help, when using your router at [email protected] stick hg8 in the login i.e [email protected] thats what i did and it works fine 4 me.

lexus430

lexus430

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ye flippin ha!

thanks Mike

I tried the hg8, it didnt work so I tried hg47 which for some obscure reason worked first time hg47 was part of the host name in my old business broadband service albeit hg47.btclick.com but hg47.btinternet.com is working for me.

I think its really bad that BT dont say this in their literature or on line in the faq's

anyhow hopefully anyone else struggling will see this and not waste a couple of weeks and twenty odd hours attempting to find errors in their system configs when its just a basic lack of facts from bt at fault.

thanks also Dan for your help.

Stephen