Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop shuts off with wireless reciver on...

• Please log in to reply

DCTodd

DCTodd

• Pip
  • 1 posts
First time poster here, and I am perplexed... and so are the tech support people at MicroCenter.

I have a laptop which was working fine where I used to live, but the first time I tried to start it at my new place it wouldn't start up. It would get passed the log on, and sometimes even to the desktop but then I would get the infamous blue screen of death. It was a generic message suggesting I restart it in safe mode and what not. I tried, and it didn't help.

I then took the computer to MicroCenter for a diagnostic check. They could not duplicate the problem but found a few viruses and removed them. When I brought the computer back home it still wouldn't start up.

I turned off the wireless receiver on the computer before I tried starting it again and it started just fine!! But the second I turned the receiver back on, the blue screen reappeared and the computer started a loop of attempting to restart itself and shutting down.

Now here's the confusing part: I have another laptop here which works just fine with the internet, etc...(its what I'm posting this message on) AND the laptop of concern works in other locations connecting to wireless internet with the receiver on. I even tried shutting off my wireless router and starting the laptop with no luck.

Is there some sort of signal my computer is receiving at my apartment when the wireless receiver is on, which causes it to "blue screen" and shut off??

PLEASE HELP!!

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

This is a good one! I've never heard of anything like this!

Let me clarify so I know I'm understanding this...
Your laptop runs fine with no problems everywhere else except your apartment. It only crashes at your apartment when you have the wireless reveiver turned on? Is that it?

Very perplexing, indeed!

There is no "signal" that I know of that should trigger this in a laptop. Laptop wireless is either on or off.

Is you router password protected? Have you tried deleteing all the wireless profiles on the laptop in question? I would start by deleteting all profiles and reseting the password (no password) so the laptop can't even connect to any wireless network when the receiver is on.

Edited by makai, 22 August 2009 - 12:01 PM.