Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

restore desktop icon

• Please log in to reply

paulsiam

paulsiam

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Running XP Pro SP2. I had some viruses which I cleaned up; but the virus changed the explorer.exe and desktop.scf inside C:Windows/

I would like to be able to get the original icons back and to put the Show Desktop icon with its original icon in the task bar. The programs I have seen on web using notepad do not restore the origian icon because it is missing in the windows folder too!

Can you suggest?

many thnaks
Paul

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

I had some viruses which I cleaned up

Yourself?

Show desktop.scf is actually responsible for "Show Desktop" button in Quick Launch area, so I doubt it has anything to do with with your desktop icons.
You're not saying what is wrong with your desktop icons.

paulsiam

paulsiam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
yes, it is the quick launch that is part of the problem. I attach how it looks now, and it doe snot work. if i go to C:/Windows/ and look for explorer.exe, it is not the ordianry icon there either; and the desktop.scf is missing. Any suggesitons?

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenHunter_002.jpg
  • ScreenHunter_003.jpg

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hold CTRL, and SHIFT, hit Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy (with Vista, most likely, you won't need it).
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD (rarely in Vista case).
If sfc won't find any errors in Windows XP, it'll simply quit, without any message.