Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem with Heating in new computer build

• Please log in to reply

Griff13086

Griff13086

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Greetings,

I have just recently built a computer for the first time. Unfortunately I am having a rather troublesome heating issue.

I can start up the computer and get it to start installing windows... 10 min into the installation the computer just shuts off. The heat sink fan is spinning over the processor and there is a little bit of thermogrease there(I am not sure exactly the quantity that should be there but there seems to be a decent amount, I put about a bebe sized amount there).

I checked the CPU temp and it starts at about 92 C and eventually rises to 117 C and shuts off... this happens even with an additional fan blowing on it with the side panel open.

The Processor I am using is an Intel Core 2 Quad (45nm 4mb l2 shared cache) and the mother board is a ASUS Striker II Extreme LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI ATX Intel Motherboard. Power supply is 630 W.

Sorry if this is organized poorly, English is a second language. Thank you for any help you can give me in solving this issue... please let me know any further information you may need.

~G

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi Griff13086, Welcome to Geekstogo!

It seems you don't have the heat sink "seated" properly to the cpu. Take a look at this guide to ensure you are doing everything it suggests in regards to the cpu and heat sink installation. How to build your own computer

In addition, the amount of thermal paste you used is about right, you might need to use a bit more(just a little bit more), but what I'm most concerned with is if you spread it over the entire cpu? Take a look at this excellent guide by TJ Harlow on how to apply thermal paste. How do you apply Arctic Silver 5?

Griff13086

Griff13086

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ferrari,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I currently cannot locate the tube of thermogrease but I will pick up a new tube tomorrow after work...

I did not completely coat the CPU as shown in the video, my coat was much less thick and completely covering the CPU, so I will give that a try. I will also do my best to properly set the Heatsink down evenly with all 4 posts into the motherboard. I appreciate your quick and helpful reply. I shall post here tomorrow with my results.

Thank you

~G

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Yes, let us know how it goes. Be sure to post your new temperatures so I can make sure they are correct.

my coat was much less thick and completely covering the CPU

Just so we are clear, you want a thin and even layer (paper thin) across the cpu, just like the video.

Griff13086

Griff13086

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Greetings,

The heat on the CPU now sits consistently at around 94 C while sitting in the Set-up area, so I am to conclude that he thermo grease has done its job.

However, now I am trying to install Windows XP Professional and It has done the Collecting information, Dynamic Update, and Preparing Installation. Now when it is on the Installing Windows portion it just keeps shutting down out of no where... Any thoughts?

It had been stopped mid installation a few times prior to this but I was assuming that was due to heating issues. I will let the system idle on Set-up and I will watch the temperature for a longer time period than I have been...

~G

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
94C is extremely high. It should idle somewhere around 30-40. Your CPU may be defective if you are absolutely sure you have installed the cpu and heat sink correctly. The reason it is shutting down mid way through is because the cpu is still over heating.

Griff13086

Griff13086

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
After 2 hours of sitting idle the CPU still remains at 94 C. I was told that this CPU runs hot as is...

Should I contact the place I got it from and send for a new one?

I am going to invite a friend over tonight to take a look at it to make sure it is installed properly.

After trying to get Windows working again the computer just shut down as it was doing the Installing Windows and shut down right after... I am still not convinced the heating is the issue because I turned it on right after it shut down again and the CPU still read at 94 C. If that is what it idled at then I am wondering why it would shut down at the same temp? Sorry I don't understand any of this stuff... What is your current recommendation?