Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Anybody here from Houston?

• Please log in to reply

Elliot

Elliot

Retired Staff

• Expert
  • 3,769 posts
So, I just found out that we'll be moving to Houston in the next month, and I'm trying to figure out the best place to find a house. Neither my wife nor myself have ever been there, so I'm looking for some guidance. I'll be working in the Pasadena/Pearland area. Any recommendations?

Thanks!!

Elster

Advertisements

Perplexus

Perplexus

Lord of the Geeks

• Malware Removal
  • 1,185 posts
Hi Elster :)

Houston is large and sprawled out. What are your goals for a place to live? How big of a commute are you willing to make? Do you like the coast? country? suburbanite? city slicker?

I live on the West side, but between my wife and I, we know quite a bit about the area.

Elliot

Elliot

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 3,769 posts
Hi Perplexus!!

I think we are focusing somewhere in the south due to my job landing in the Pearland/Pasadena area. I've been hearing decent things about Pearland (mostly West Pearland), not great things about Pasadena. Looking to buy a house somewhere in the $150k range, but I know taxes can be pretty high in some areas. As for community preferences, probably more suburban. We like a quiet neighborhood, but easy access to the city.

Thanks!!

Elster

**By the way, congrats on the promotion!!** :)

Perplexus

Perplexus

Lord of the Geeks

• Malware Removal
  • 1,185 posts
Thanks. :) Pearland is a nice area. Search google for Shadow Creek Ranch in Pearland. It's a master planned community. Houses there start in the 170s but there are other great areas. You should have no problem finding a house for 150k. For Texas you can figure a mortgage payment of roughly 1% of sale price including taxes. So for 150k, mortgage would be around $1500 for a 30 year loan.

If you don't mind about a longer commute, Lake Jackson is south of Pearland about 40 minutes. It's a beautiful town with street names like This Way and That Way :) Lake Jackson was built by Dow Chemical and most streets are named after native plants. There are huge Oak trees and flowing creeks. It's also about 15 minutes from the beach and boasts some of the best kayaking trails in the area.

If you have any questions about areas, let me know.

Good Luck!

Elliot

Elliot

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 3,769 posts
Thanks for the input, Perplexus! I'll let you know how it turns out.

Elster

crooz

crooz

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Everbody left Houston! :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Pasadena/Pearland area

hehe i went to a concert once at the "stankadena" fair grounds (a common name for pasadena)...i wasn't too impressed with the place

Perplexus

Perplexus

Lord of the Geeks

• Malware Removal
  • 1,185 posts
OMG...lol...my wife made me promise not to call it Stinkadena! And there you go doing it! You from around here?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no...i'm from southern louisiana....but my wife is from houston

Perplexus

Perplexus

Lord of the Geeks

• Malware Removal
  • 1,185 posts
I'm sorry to hear that. At least you found a good woman!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sorry to hear what? that i'm not from houston or that she is?

Perplexus

Perplexus

Lord of the Geeks

• Malware Removal
  • 1,185 posts
:) Ummmm...your royal highness...ummmm....I was referring to the fact that you are from that most lovely state of Louisiana...All Hail Louie!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
dude....DO NOT talk bad about louisiana to a guy that has the ability to ban you

Perplexus

Perplexus

Lord of the Geeks

• Malware Removal
  • 1,185 posts
:) People think I'm from Louisiana all the time. As a matter of fact, if anyone here heard me talk, you probably would have banned me already for just sounding unintelligent :)

Perplexus

Perplexus

Lord of the Geeks

• Malware Removal
  • 1,185 posts
Uhhh...that last statement didn't come out right :)