Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wired LAN Wont Connect to All Locations

• Please log in to reply

fredii

fredii

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This has been an issue for a long time. At home or at the current hotel I'm at, I try to plug in the wired connection to the LAN port and it won't work. Took computer to Best Buy and they plug in and it does. Checked properties to automatically pick up IP address and it's checked. It also says it's working fine in right clicking my LAN connection. Wife's HP laptop works fine when plugging in cable, it detects LAN connection and starts working. My laptop is a Toshiba M45-165 with a Marvel Yukon 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller. I updated to the latest software with no change. Went to Device Manager, right clicked, and it says it's working fine. I'm lost and need help. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

fredii

fredii

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Missed some info here, I have windows xp with sp2.

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
Hi There

When you say "it wont work" what exactly do you mean? Web pages won't load?

Connect an Ethernet cable to your laptop. Open a Command Prompt and type either:

ping google.com or
tracert google.com

If you get replies then your connection is working and your browser might have been hi-jacked.

Regards