Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista: Hard Drive Not Recognized

• Please log in to reply

SisypheanTask

SisypheanTask

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I recently updated to Windows Vista from XP and installed it on a new Western Digital SATA drive. Previously, I had two hard drives. Drive C: was partitioned to have the OS and a space for storage. The other drive was merely for storing information so it wouldn't be in danger should I ever need to remove my OS. When I updated and installed the new hard drive, both partitions of the old C: drive are recognized without formatting. The other drive was not so lucky.

It was working on XP less than 2 hours before this post and I didn't fiddle with the hardware at all when I was installing the new hard drive.

It is a Western Digital (WD3200AAJB-00TYA0 ATA Device: as written in device manager) It is recognized in the device manager, but cannot be populated. It is also recognized in "disk management" as dynamic but "invalid".

The only solution the rest of the internet seems to have is to format which is not what I want to do because I want the information on the drive.

Thank you in advance for your time and your answers,
Sisyphean Task

Advertisements